Madison area TDS, RODI setup

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the water coming from the city in the Madison area? Any special RODI filters outside the norm that is needed? My current system runs a sediment filter > carbon block x2 > chloramine monster > dual RO membranes > mixed bed DI resin.

My current TDS where I'm at is about 470 tap. Planning for the move.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The madison area has hard water. Most houses have water softeners. I live a bit south of madison, for me at least I need to aerate the water before putting it through the DI resin or it chews through DI. I want to say something crazy like 10 times as fast.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Was hoping to avoid that but oh well. I go through a mixed DI resin bed in about 80 production gallons. Probably the same for you.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the high CO2, I don't even bother with DI anymore. All that gets past the membrane is a little silicate.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The madison area has hard water. Most houses have water softeners. I live a bit south of madison, for me at least I need to aerate the water before putting it through the DI resin or it chews through DI. I want to say something crazy like 10 times as fast.
Which pump do you use to feed the DI resin cartridge after you've made RO water? I might look into doing this if it saves that much resin.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap jebao controlable dc pump and adjust it to about 4 gallons per hour. I also double checked the tds going in (2) and coming out(0).

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you throttle it down further than 10% power with a valve to get that low? Looking around it doesn't seem like many pumps below the 150-300gph range at the top end.

I will pick something up to try this because it'll take me 3 resin cartridges to fill my next tank at the current exhaustion rate.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 40% I think the power is at. I also have the DI canister mounted on the wall, so there is some head height, plus I constricted it down to the proper tubing.

I tried using some cheap maxijets but they just don't seem strong enough. There is likely some equation to solve it, but I just don't have the desire to do the math lol. I just grabbed my spare return pump and plumbed it in.

You could probably also add some valves to constrict it further if you're not getting the desired tds or switch pumps

I have also read people building degassing chambers
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-co2-degassing-chamber-for-ro-di.212587/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back