Mag flakes

Antoniocastro

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Messages
153
Reaction score
48
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Anybody knows if Mag flakes nowadays is still a good and clean source of chloride magnesium for 2 parts recipe??
I can get a 50 lbs for a good price.
Thank you

82F16AFE-B99E-45B9-B09D-E6E97A1CD40A.jpeg
 
I've been using it for about 10 years now. I mix mine with bulk Epson Salts from San Francisco Salt per Randy's instructions. I also use Dow Flake for Ca and soda ash from a swimming pool supply for alk. I've never had any chemistry issues. On my old 425g system I did very, very few water changes over 5+ years... but that system had a 180g (8'x2'x16") sump/fuge/DSB/frag tank. Oh, and I never had any fish issues either. The only problems I ever had were aiptasia, majano anemones and flat worms and none of those were related to my chemistry.

I live in SW Florida and I had friends visit from up north and bring me mag and Dow Flake when I needed it. Obviously we don't melt much snow in SW Florida. Then I found a tennis supply house that sold both locally here in Florida! What a shock! They use it to keep down dust on clay tennis courts!
 
I wish I could tell you! I get it in a 25 pound bucket and as I get low (like now) I move it into a smaller container to save space. So I don't have the big bucket to look at. But I think any pool supply (they are everywhere here in SW Florida) would have sodium bi-carb and/or soda ash that would work. Just look at the list of ingredients and make sure there isn't anything extra added in.
 
That's it!
 
Any USP Epsom salt should be OK. It has a fairly high standard of purity.

As far as I know MAG flake is OK to use still.
 
Any USP Epsom salt should be OK. It has a fairly high standard of purity.

As far as I know MAG flake is OK to use still.
Any USP Epsom salt should be OK. It has a fairly high standard of purity.

As far as I know MAG flake is OK to use still.
Hi! Been looking for mag flakes,can’t find it in my state,Ga. I was able to find mag pellets,magnesium chloride on amazon. I guess it’s the same thing but the shape is different.
Thank you for being here.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new