Mag in doser

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years Iv been buying premixed mag to refill my dosing reservoir. It only took me 5 years to realize I’m paying a decent premium for something simple I can mix on my own for a lot cheaper. It got me thinking about it tho, and I’m away from the house for a few days so I’m just posing the question here since I can’t test and figure it out on my own.
What the typical potency for mag when mixed for your dosing pump? I have never thought twice about it till I’m gearing up to mix my own. I would assume it’s pretty concentrated. Maybe I’m wrong.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years Iv been buying premixed mag to refill my dosing reservoir. It only took me 5 years to realize I’m paying a decent premium for something simple I can mix on my own for a lot cheaper. It got me thinking about it tho, and I’m away from the house for a few days so I’m just posing the question here since I can’t test and figure it out on my own.
What the typical potency for mag when mixed for your dosing pump? I have never thought twice about it till I’m gearing up to mix my own. I would assume it’s pretty concentrated. Maybe I’m wrong.

I have diy recipes for alk, calcium and magnesium that work fine in a doser. Magnesium recipes can be adjusted to about any concentration you want. Generally, the alk parts of 2/3 part dosing systems are what limits the concentration.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have diy recipes for alk, calcium and magnesium that work fine in a doser. Magnesium recipes can be adjusted to about any concentration you want. Generally, the alk parts of 2/3 part dosing systems are what limits the concentration.
I wondered if this would be the case. I will find out what the concentration is mixed at from the shop I have been buying my supplements. I’d like to remain at that concentration since my doses are all currently set to daily consumption, or really close. A change In potency would change that. And I’m sure you know if this is how you maintain your alk cal and mag, it take a lot of time and testing to finally get zeroed in on those amounts lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they tell you the potency, we can advise on how to match that with a fit, either by changing the diy potency, or better, changing the dosing time (which allows the use of online calculators for future calculations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back