this is my 125
salinity: 1.024
ph:7.8
Phos: 0.3
nitrite: >.05
nitrate: reading 0
Alk: 9
Temp: 77
but magnesium...is like 30 (salifert) it took 1 cc and .02 more to make the test go blue. I dont have a calcium tester yet, but amazon says today. Last summer it was 500
why would my magnesium bottom out? I dosed 20ml of seachem mag this am, so hopefully it'll help. I did a 40 gallon water change on Sunday, and scraped algae off the glass.
I honestly cannot understand the threads of chemistry, though I try, but I was hopeful someone could help me with this. inhabitants appear ok... but no real growth.
this is after lights on, and I will try to get better shots. this is white lights on also.
getting ready for an adoption today, so I will be on and off until then.
any help is appreciated. Tank is a year old, but just the actual tank. this has been going for 15 yrs...but was all fish until 2 yrs ago.

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test error. No other possibility. It is never ever that low.

You seem to be reading the kit backward.
ok, this is a brand new test kit, I just received yesterday Salifert. so, what should I do then? the LFS use API...and do not even test for this. figured a new test would be more accurate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test error. No other possibility. It is never ever that low.

You seem to be reading the kit backward.
it uses the whole syringe, and .02 more of a 2nd one, before the change in color. can you suggest what I should do different? what your saying makes sense... especially with doing consistent water changes. I don't want to over do something.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your test kit is working just fine, you are simply interpreting the results backwards.

if you used 1.02 ml of reagent to get the color change, then your magnesium is at 1530, not 30.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the chart, if you add a full 1 ml to get the color change, then MG would be at 1500.
if you add .50 ml to get the color change, then it would be 750.
if you add .02 ml to get the color change, then it would be 30.

You needed more than the full 1ml, so your magnesium is above 1500 currently.

Regardless, its certainly not low, so that is why Randy said to stop adding any more.

Its probably fine to just let it drop on its own, but doing a water change would certainly help bring it back in line.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the chart, if you add a full 1 ml to get the color change, then MG would be at 1500.
if you add .50 ml to get the color change, then it would be 750.
if you add .02 ml to get the color change, then it would be 30.

You needed more than the full 1ml, so your magnesium is above 1500 currently.

Regardless, its certainly not low, so that is why Randy said to stop adding any more.

Its probably fine to just let it drop on its own, but doing a water change would certainly help bring it back in line.
Thank you! I only added some today, because I wanted to be sure what it was, before dosing. I am going to be mixing more water today...and doing another change. I added 5 ml this am. omg I cannot believe this. I will try doing this test again, and follow your directions LeftyReefer. that does make sense. Randy is so smart, he makes MY head hurt! lol ;)
Chemistry was never my strong suit clearly

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert has done a poor job with this kit.

Way too many people make this mistake.

Habib: Rewrite the directions!
Randy, that can goof up way too many tanks if this is a common thing! fortunatley I only dosed 1 time, 5ml today. I was waiting for my test to show up, and I ran that test 3 times. clearly all wrong. thanks so much for your help:)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back