Magic Eraser to seed QT?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the QT for new additions in a few weeks. I know rock and filter sponges are commonly used for seeding, but I don’t have any handy. I do have some new Magic Erasers and know many people use them for algae removal.

I’m assuming they’d be okay, and possibly even better than a filter because it seems they have much more surface area.

Is my assumption correct, or bad idea?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melamine sponges are open cell foam so they should work as far as providing surface area for bacteria to colonize. They also absorb water so I don’t know how long they will last if submerged?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Magic Eraser has ANY chemicals in it, the answer would be no.

The surface area, both visible on the outside and invisible on the inside is what matters most. Secondly, the flow through the sponge will directly affect its ability to attract bacteria and process ammonia. Magic Erasers don't have the optimum surface areas.

You can get sponges at the supermarket and at Home Depot or Lowes. In the paint department and where drywall mud is found. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the sponge before you put it in your tank. Many have a chemical on them that keeps the unused sponge pliable and soft. I seem to recall it's glycerin, but my memory may be faulty.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Melamine sponges are open cell foam so they should work as far as providing surface area for bacteria to colonize. They also absorb water so I don’t know how long they will last if submerged?
Ive used them to clean tank glass but not receptive to leaving them submersed with livestock

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the QT for new additions in a few weeks. I know rock and filter sponges are commonly used for seeding, but I don’t have any handy. I do have some new Magic Erasers and know many people use them for algae removal.

I’m assuming they’d be okay, and possibly even better than a filter because it seems they have much more surface area.

Is my assumption correct, or bad idea?
I think the pores in melamine pads are too small to allow for good location for nitrifying bacteria. Larger pore filter sponges and fused silica blocks are better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back