Magic Erasers and Algae Turf Scrubbers

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I discovered the bane of Hair algae. If the cause is this then, I have an easy solution for all those struggling with hair algae.

So, I went to clean my 5 year old algae turf scrubber this morning. Was about 10-12 days since I had last cleaned it. And turns the hair algae was thick as I expected, but it was bleached white all the way to the center. Like it had lost all it's green pigment after it had grown. I was so confused.

My display, other than more rapid than usual film algae, showed no signs of issues. Hammers, bubble corals, gonis, all sensitive corals looking great. Water tests showed, things normal - alk 9.1, phosphates .07 (been fluctuating between .03 and .15), Nitrates down to 34 (from the high of 65 2 months ago).

Nothing in my regimen has changed week to week. If anything I've neglected it more than usual. But, I'm always looking for faster ways to clean the glass since it's an in wall tank and I can't physically reach the bottom of the tank glass.

I purchased a plastic extendable wand with a velcro pad for magic Erasers. It came with magic erasers and the marketing on it said, pure magic eraser, no additives of any type (no scents, no cleaners, etc. just the pure form with velcro backing). It said safe for all aquariums.

I thought awesome. So, last friday I cleaned all my glass with it. It was amazing! I was done in 15-20 minutes tops vs. my usual 45 minutes to do a thorough cleaning with my bladed tools. However, my algae scrubber bleached all of the algae the same time.

Now, that could totally be a complete coincidence. I respect that.

Is there anything in magic erasers that when in salt water for 25 minutes would cause hair algae to bleach and die in an extremely short time. (like overnight).

Or in the velcro? Or something else?

If Magic erasers do destroy hair algae, can we bottle it and dose it? :)

PXL_20230307_162212662.jpg PXL_20230307_162242602.jpg

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a link of the wand device?

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ve been looking for a wand type. I buy the magic eraser sheets but have a hard time getting between rocks and glass towards the bottom of my tank.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used unbranded magic erasers before without any issues. I wish my gha died lol, but ill let others chime in
Yeah, the algae was warm to the touch, it's possible for some reason the flow got too restricted and killed the algae around the same time I cleaned the glass. Hard to say. It was the strangest phenomena I've seen - pure white hair algae.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely wasn't from using a magic eraser....they are made of melamine foam and are aquarium safe. I have used them for years....both the original and generic without any issues.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm looks like an amazing product but i dont want my hair algae bleaching. It seems like it is just a pourous sponge like material but wonder what could have done this.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Magic Eraser Sheets "sandwiched" between magnet cleaner. Works great. I have been using ME in the tank for 15yrs and have never seen any affects.

IMG_7457.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back