Magician Zoa/Pally

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased two batches of these, both from different vendors. When they arrive thay are a nice red with the white green center but within a week, in two different tanks, they lighten to barely pink with a bright green and white center.

What would cause this? Too much light?

Both tanks are similar in parameters. Alk 9, Ca 500, Mg ~1300 I use Kent Reef salt and change 10% once a week.

Thanks.

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the vendor's using different light system with yours. Their color will come back moment they acclimate with your lights

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happened to me before...its lighting...it will color back up...when mine did that i didnt do anything,i didnt move it but i had it in the sandbed...then it just slowly darken and colored up..

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post pics? Also like everyone else said. Just give it time to get used to your tank lights and parameters.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I have pics of just about everything but these zoas. They are reproducing like crazy, a single polyp to 4 in 2 weeks, but all looked bleached. :)

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two colonies that did not like the dip I use. Great color and then I dip and overnight bam.... Just like you describe. I had mine for awhile under my new lighting upgrade and they were actually starting to color up real nice but a Nudi outbreak forced me to dip all rocks small enough. Positive it was dip related. I use 5 minute fresh saltwater soak (for inspection), then a 10 minute agitation in RODI with a Coral RX drip at 1.5 times the suggested strength (added in about 2-3 minutes so 7-8 minutes of fully medicated soak). Pull each frag out and swish in some tank water or fresh saltwater and place in tank in spot it was in before. Only colonies that do this (for me) are magicians. I don't dip them anymore, just inspect really well. Also had the issue with the babies.... Looked the same as the larger but obviously on a smaller scale.

Point is, do you dip? Could be the cause ;)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point is, do you dip? Could be the cause ;)

I only dip in flatworm exit, so I'm not sure if that caused it or not. I've moved them to a lower light area in both my tanks, so I guess time will tell. I noted more new polyps when I moved them, so growth isn't a problem. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds of these poylps and they dont seem to fade that much in bright or low lights. but they do turn a light pinkish color if you dip them in a strong solution. My budddy diped his colony in a strong solution on Pro RX. ( I think thats the name) and his turned to a very lite pink color.. I hope yours will come back to the normal colors, but my buddies did not and still look pink after months of rehab.. If your magicains do not come back, PM me and maybe we can work out some sort of trade or sale for some of mine. I have more then enough to go around. lol.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a Zoanthelle replacement solution. I have heard of this product working wonders in under a week to start the re colorization process.

So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with my zoas looking different when I get them home. I talked to the LFS and it seems to be the lights. They display under LEDs with lots of blue. I have compact flourescents , one white and 3 actinic blue. I don't get the fluorescence. I hope mine brighten up too. Good luck with yours!

12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you use led or MH, you'll never get the same pop. They will always look muted compared to how they look under the stores lights.

So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belated update.

I put them in partial shade and the darkened and now look identical to when I first got them. This variety (sold as magician palys, but who knows) seems to be sensitive to the amount of light. They are under ATI T5's in my 40 breeder and BuildMyLED strips in my 46 bowfront. I just moved the ones that were on the sand in my 46 to a spot that gets partially shaded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back