Magnesion-P

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I ordered Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P a little while ago and havent needed to use it, prior to this just used liquid magnesium from Petco. My magnesium is currently testing at 1230 and it's been like 1350 but didn't test for two weeks and it fell. If I want to get it back up to 1350-1400 according to brs calculator. I have 65 gallons of volume and I just put in 1350 to get it up to and it's saying 340.91 grams( which is half of the bottle of powder). Now on the Brightwell bottle, it says (Amt to raise) x (tank volume) / 64 = Amt (grams) which is 121.85 grams. Also on the bottle, it says every 3.5 grams needs 32 oz of water. I am extremely confused anybody with experience with this product could weigh in and give me insight on what I should do, please.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I ordered Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P a little while ago and havent needed to use it, prior to this just used liquid magnesium from Petco. My magnesium is currently testing at 1230 and it's been like 1350 but didn't test for two weeks and it fell. If I want to get it back up to 1350-1400 according to brs calculator. I have 65 gallons of volume and I just put in 1350 to get it up to and it's saying 340.91 grams( which is half of the bottle of powder). Now on the Brightwell bottle, it says (Amt to raise) x (tank volume) / 64 = Amt (grams) which is 121.85 grams. Also on the bottle, it says every 3.5 grams needs 32 oz of water. I am extremely confused anybody with experience with this product could weigh in and give me insight on what I should do, please.

Magnesium did not fall 120 ppm in 2 weeks. That is either test error or a large salinity drop.

I cannot vouch for other calculators, but some may be wrong because Brightwell claimed an impossibly high and wrong potency for years until I convinced Jack Kent to fix it. I hope they fixed the label.

Try this calculator

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to Andre at Reef Moonshiners Brightwells Magnesion-P and Calcion-P has harmful chemicals in it. He talks about this on facebook. I'm not sure how he comes to his conclusion.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    213.7 KB · Views: 30

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Andre at Reef Moonshiners Brightwells Magnesion-P and Calcion-P has harmful chemicals in it. He talks about this on facebook. I'm not sure how he comes to his conclusion.

I don't know either, but it is sadly true that many companies, such as Seachem and Brightwell never provide any purity grade info, and it would not surprise me if there was an issue that ICP folks might detect.

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You 100% sure he said that? Because I thought he recommended those items?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I used that calculator and diluated it in a liter of water as you stated in a different thread, and let it sit for about 6 hours now, I plan to manually dose to no doser, and I plan on splitting the liter into 5 days. Now where should I pout the liquid? Sump, filter sock, display, on over flow or inlet, on top of powerhead?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to know, as I already have the magnesion-p, but I am looking into a kamoer X1 PROV2 and tropic marin all for reef to dose so I can throw away the magnesion-p if proven harmful to my reef.

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to know, as I already have the magnesion-p, but I am looking into a kamoer X1 PROV2 and tropic marin all for reef to dose so I can throw away the magnesion-p if proven harmful to my reef.
99% of items that are not pure forms of there respective element will have things harmful for the tank long term. Even tropic marin all for reef. Either fully switch to reef moonshiners method or just keep doing what your doing and every once and a while take an icp ms test. Just to make sure everything is doing ok.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I used that calculator and diluated it in a liter of water as you stated in a different thread, and let it sit for about 6 hours now, I plan to manually dose to no doser, and I plan on splitting the liter into 5 days. Now where should I pout the liquid? Sump, filter sock, display, on over flow or inlet, on top of powerhead?

Doesn't matter much were, except away from organisms. I'd do sump.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
reef moonshiner method previously suggested magnesion-p but after recent purity(trace element) ICP’s he now suggests BRS’ alk/cal/mag

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what you ended up doing? I used the calculator and it says about 75tsp which is a large number and I'm worried about using that but I've followed the basic instructions on the magnesion p for 2 days and it didnt change the level. Seems like a lot of product I would be going through to keep things stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what you ended up doing? I used the calculator and it says about 75tsp which is a large number and I'm worried about using that but I've followed the basic instructions on the magnesion p for 2 days and it didnt change the level. Seems like a lot of product I would be going through to keep things stable.

Substantial boosts to magnesium take a lot of material. Even dry magnesium additives are usually only about 11% magnesium by weight, and there are pounds of magnesium in a 100 gallon reef tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this calculator and find it accurate

One thing that eased me is everyone says you need a lot to make a little difference which is true, also 75tsp is 25tb and I use table spoons instead so less scoops to remember. Also measure out the powder in a bowl and then add it because once you add it to rodi water is causes a reaction and you have to be careful due to its high heat, and you don’t wanna miss count. Let it sit for a day and then add it in 4 intervals.

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this calculator and find it accurate

One thing that eased me is everyone says you need a lot to make a little difference which is true, also 75tsp is 25tb and I use table spoons instead so less scoops to remember. Also measure out the powder in a bowl and then add it because once you add it to rodi water is causes a reaction and you have to be careful due to its high heat, and you don’t wanna miss count. Let it sit for a day and then add it in 4 intervals.
Ok thank you so much!!! Really appreciate it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back