magnesium and its side effects

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after my latest testing ive been having great water quality....asides from 2 points. Low mag. 1250. And high phosphates....

The phosphates a week ago were .51.... today .26... ive been experimenting with peroxide and running gfo. So i believe i will soon have this well controlled

Now for the mag. Ive began a dosing regimen today to improve the 1250.

After all the jabber the base line question is does the low mag play part on the green algae on rock and grown stringy like algae?

Pics
1461353394241.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 1250 ppm magnesium is not really low. It is the normal seawater level for seawater with a specific gravity of 1.0258. :)
Hmmm lfs said it was low enought for this algae and reccomended boosting to 1500 for a week to help beat the algae... any thoughts of this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm lfs said it was low enought for this algae and reccomended boosting to 1500 for a week to help beat the algae... any thoughts of this?

Low magnesium does not encourage algae. Some people have found that raising magnesium with Kent Tech M may help treat bryopsis, and that may be due to a toxic impurity in that additive.

This effect does not seem to extend to most other species of algae. :)

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low magnesium does not encourage algae. Some people have found that raising magnesium with Kent Tech M may help treat bryopsis, and that may be due to a toxic impurity in that additive.

This effect does not seem to extend to most other species of algae. :)
Thank you greatly for your input. I suppose a other culprit could be my high phosphates i suppose...perhaps scrubbing rocks and rinsing with clean ro out of tank may help. Im afraid to scrub the over flow box in tank as to not fog the tabk with an algae bloom

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back