Magnesium, How Important is it for Color and PE in SPS?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Curious, you read things all across the board on the topic of magnesium. I know the basics of chemistry and that magnesium is required to be present in proper quantity in order for corals to Calcify etc. What I am more interested in discussing is related to color and PE. I have very slowly been raising my mag and seem to have better PE for sure, possibly helping color as well. My consumption is also increasing so I have had to adjust my dosing.

So in your experience does Mag have a direct impact on color and PE? Or is it just important for the overall health of your tank? Where do you keep it?

I used to keep my mag down around 1300ppm and am slowly working my way upward sitting about 1350ppm now :).

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that best color and PE has mg in the 1500 range. I personally haven't tested in a bit but will be today as I've noticed some paling lately. Following along. Thanks for starting this thread, it'll be good to see what others have to say.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my mag at 1400. I also keep my calcium and alk a little higher as well. 450 and 10 dkh respectively. I never noticed more color with higher mag but definitly more growth and consumption when all 3 are balanced. I'm pretty convinced color and pe has alot and almost everything to do with nutrient control. But the combination of the 2 categories I believe will give you the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my mag at 1400. I also keep my calcium and alk a little higher as well. 450 and 10 dkh respectively. I never noticed more color with higher mag but definitly more growth and consumption when all 3 are balanced. I'm pretty convinced color and pe has alot and almost everything to do with nutrient control. But the combination of the 2 categories I believe will give you the best of both worlds.
I am just curious, what is the proper ratio for Alk/Calcium in your opinion? I know there isn't a dead set ratio.

In regards to magnesium, I know they say that you need 3X the calcium value for all of the calcium to be available. For example if you run calcium of 450 you need a minimum of 1350ppm mag in order for the 450 to be available.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few corals I have that definitely showed faster grown and better coloration with elevated magnesium 1500-1600. I do not try to keep it past 1500, but a new trace combo solution I was dosing also had mg in it and I did not realize. My montipora becomes very vibrant in color and grows very quickly as well as my photosynthetic gorgonian with elevated mg. Most of my LPS/SPS/Softies show no change.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my mag above 1350
0FD763E8-238E-46E2-9DA8-25347E029CC5.jpeg
1D2F256E-DC64-41C2-A99A-621FBE653035.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is somewhat low at 1225 but I haven’t really noticed any difference in color.
Do you also run your alk and calcium on the lower end as well? I have seen your build thread and your corals are exploding with color! :)

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also run your alk and calcium on the lower end as well? I have seen your build thread and your corals are exploding with color! :)
Alk I like at 9.5 but it’s currently 8.8 and calcium is 400

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious, what is the proper ratio for Alk/Calcium in your opinion? I know there isn't a dead set ratio.

In regards to magnesium, I know they say that you need 3X the calcium value for all of the calcium to be available. For example if you run calcium of 450 you need a minimum of 1350ppm mag in order for the 450 to be available.
I dont know of a "propper" ratio. But I do tend to see a better usage when I keep my levels higher. I've run all at 8dkh and noticed a slower uptake and had to dial my reactor back. When I keep it about 10 I find more growth and definitly have to run at a higher flow rate to maintain. I like having the bioavailability of higher calcium and mag at those alk levels.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our magnesium is usually 1300-1350 (little higher right now) but I run everything on the lower side compared to most (alk ~7dKh and calcium 400ppm). A little over a year ago magnesium levels climbed to 1500 and I didnt notice any differences (alk and calcium remained and current levels).

My opinion, no single parameter will make an appreciable difference, it takes a combination of things before the corals react (positively or negatively).

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t effect color that I have ever seen. It’s just needs to be a certain number so alk and calcium can be used up normally.
Trace metals and stuff like that are the only thing that effects the appearance of corals from my experience.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, no single parameter will make an appreciable difference, it takes a combination of things before the corals react (positively or negatively).
I largely agree, it’s just figuring out what works for your tank and what doesn’t that is such a challenge.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose acropower on and off but nothing consistent.
Interesting, since it’s on and off does it seem to make any sort of difference when you are actively using it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see best results with Mag at or above 1300 and CA at 425

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, since it’s on and off does it seem to make any sort of difference when you are actively using it?
Not really, lol. I think if it did I’d use it more consistently. I think you might see it help more in low nutrient tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back