Magnesium increase using Red Sea

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My tank Mag level is currently at 1077. I would like to raise it to 1350. I only have Red Sea mag at the moment and I want some back up to make sure I’m figuring the amount correct. If I’m reading the label right it says that 1ml will raise 25 gallons of water 1ppm. So my total water volume is 75 gallons. So if that is calculated out then 300mls will raise 75 gallons by 100pm. Is that right??? Just need confirmation Also can someone give me a simple DIY for raising Mag solution with things I can get at a local store ( Cvs, Lowe’s etc...). And a simple formula to mix ? Many thanks current params below.

Ph 8.2
Calcium 400
KH 11.2
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1077
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime brother
Salty, Question?

In the article under Recipe #1 Mag part one of the choices is using straight Epsom Salt USP 8 cups in one gallon RODI (I assume). Can you tell me have you used it like this? any ill effects from Sulfates? I keep seeing concerns over using just Epsom Salts due to Sulfates, but I know that sometimes this may be just the "tank police" but I dont wanna mess up my tank and you seem very knowledgeable. Any thoughts on this?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty, Question?

In the article under Recipe #1 Mag part one of the choices is using straight Epsom Salt USP 8 cups in one gallon RODI (I assume). Can you tell me have you used it like this? any ill effects from Sulfates? I keep seeing concerns over using just Epsom Salts due to Sulfates, but I know that sometimes this may be just the "tank police" but I dont wanna mess up my tank and you seem very knowledgeable. Any thoughts on this?
Its due to too much sulfates from a chemistry standpoint.
Its ok for a 1 time adjustment to use straight mag sulfate but for 2 part maintenance youll want to mix the sulfate with the chloride.
I use dr teals for USP grade mag sulfate and BRS usp mag chloride.

I stopped with some of the DIYs due to so many differences in purity.
Doesnt make for very fun dosing when following the recipie.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its due to too much sulfates from a chemistry standpoint.
Its ok for a 1 time adjustment to use straight mag sulfate but for 2 part maintenance youll want to mix the sulfate with the chloride.
I use dr teals for USP grade mag sulfate and BRS usp mag chloride.

I stopped with some of the DIYs due to so many differences in purity.
Doesnt make for very fun dosing when following the recipie.
Thanks for the clarity i will order the BRS chloride I can get Dr teals locally I think

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also just double check the test result before adding a load of additive to make sure it’s correct,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also just double check the test result before adding a load of additive to make sure it’s correct,

I agree. I think this level is unlikely unless salinity is very low.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I think this level is unlikely unless salinity is very low.
My tank is recovering from a major nuking on my part. About 4 weeks ago I tried to “save money” and made a sump out of a 20 high with a diy kit. I used the wrong dam silicone and killed 8 of my fish and about 30 % of my corals. I have spent the last 4 weeks doing multiple water changes running and changing the crap out of carbon and having my water checked weekly at LFS using API spin test. I have just recently (last 2 weeks been trying yoThese were yesterday’s 3-4-21 results.

Ph 8.2
Calcium 400
KH 11.2
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1077
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

last night I added 250ml of Red Sea Mag and I plan to add another 250ml today then recheck. I used the calculator on reef diesyst to measure the dose. I have 75 G of total volume.

I plan to order the BRS mag powders to make my own going forward. Please let me know if I’m on the right track.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back