Red Sea magnesium (ammonia?)

jcrusher556

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
12
Location
Pennsylvania
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help,

So I started dosing some Red Sea magnesium (part C) because it was a little low and I just wanted to bring it up some, which it worked. My numbers were 1320 mag and I just wanted to bring it up to 1380-1400. My hammer is much happier with the raised magnesium level. I tested my tank today and noticed I had quite a spike in ammonia. I’m always at 0 and today was the first time I seen a bright green test on the api ammonia test. My question is, does this solution from Red Sea raise ammonia? It doesn’t say it does in the box. I immediately put some prime in there to hopefully knock it down . (That’s the only way I know how to lower ammonia). Other than that all parameters are in check.
 
Maybe the hammer likes the ammonia and is indifferent to the magnesium rise. Seriously.

In any case, there often is some ammonia in magnesium chloride materials and that may have made its way into the product. Unless it is more than 2 ppm in the tank, I would not worry about it.
 
Maybe the hammer likes the ammonia and is indifferent to the magnesium rise. Seriously.

In any case, there often is some ammonia in magnesium chloride materials and that may have made its way into the product. Unless it is more than 2 ppm in the tank, I would not worry about it.
So much information ! Thank you so much for this!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new