Natural ammonia reducers

fletch’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
28
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My ammonia tested after I moved my tank to school at 1.0 on the api test kit. I tested again and it tested at .25-.5 twice. Is there any natural ways to bring down ammonia? I can’t get to the store or do a water change for a day since I have classes all day
 
What would have happened that your ammonia would spike? Was there any kind of die off or disruption to the tank?

Short of the above, this is likely testing error. There's been a lot of times we've seen the API kits come back at 0.25 ppm or even 0.50 ppm when the concentration is likely much lower. I would suspect your 1.00 ppm result is a one-off fluke.

To answer your question, I would let this ride out, I doubt there's a problem unless you are seeing livestock in distress.

If necessary, you can lower ammonia with water changes. There's really no other products or things that you can add to your tank that remove ammonia. Claims by some products that suggest otherwise have been shown to be false.

Best of luck!
 
What would have happened that your ammonia would spike? Was there any kind of die off or disruption to the tank?

Short of the above, this is likely testing error. There's been a lot of times we've seen the API kits come back at 0.25 ppm or even 0.50 ppm when the concentration is likely much lower. I would suspect your 1.00 ppm result is a one-off fluke.

To answer your question, I would let this ride out, I doubt there's a problem unless you are seeing livestock in distress.

If necessary, you can lower ammonia with water changes. There's really no other products or things that you can add to your tank that remove ammonia. Claims by some products that suggest otherwise have been shown to be false.

Best of luck!
Awesome!!! Maybe disturbed sand I’d assume. Everything in the tank honestly is thriving after the move and alive from what I can see. I appreciate the response!! I plan on doing a water change asap and should hopefully be okay. Thank you again!
 
Awesome!!! Maybe disturbed sand I’d assume. Everything in the tank honestly is thriving after the move and alive from what I can see. I appreciate the response!! I plan on doing a water change asap and should hopefully be okay. Thank you again!
Actually, I'm sorry, I didn't catch where you said that you moved your tank; my bad 😬

With that in mind, then yes, you could be seeing a bit of a 'mini-cycle' from the move. Ammonia up to about 0.50 ppm isn't really that much of a concern, but if you're hitting 1.00 ppm or higher than I would be looking to do some water changes to bring that down.

Sounds like you hit that 1.00 ppm and are already coming down, and if so, I would still let this ride out.
 
I agree with Fish Fan. I’d just watch it a bit and make sure it declines. I think it’s unlikely to rise much more and is ok where it is for a short time.
 
Hi! My ammonia tested after I moved my tank to school at 1.0 on the api test kit. I tested again and it tested at .25-.5 twice. Is there any natural ways to bring down ammonia? I can’t get to the store or do a water change for a day since I have classes all day
I am also in the "Its fine" camp here, but a water change after the move can't hurt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new