Magnesium - Is there a way to raise it without using BRS MG or other name brands?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have dosed MG for 5 years - when it was affordable dosing a 115gallon tank pre covid times. Now my system is 550gallon tank with a NO3 problem and I have not testing MG in awhile. I did a ICP test in the summer so don't think it was off so just rely on 2-3 month 25% waterchanges to bump it up.

Is this practice normal for others? Just let waterchanges bump up the MG since it doesnt deplete that fast? The range of 1200-1400 is pretty wide and in my previous tank it was always above like 1440 when I was using fritz salt. Now I am using Instant ocean and feel its probably 1200-1300.

Anyways, I hated the volume of MG needed to raise it up. I figure if its get to a really low range then I should have a strategy to raise it.
Any suggestion to doing a DIY or best methods would be a appreciated?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Randy, Epson salt?? I am speechless! What would your recommend I do since I am not big on waterchanges but i can say I do at least a 25% every 2-4 months. Too many methods and I am leaning toward the mixing of epson salt and Mag Flakes.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Randy, Epson salt?? I am speechless! What would your recommend I do since I am not big on waterchanges but i can say I do at least a 25% every 2-4 months. Too many methods and I am leaning toward the mixing of epson salt and Mag Flakes.
Do you dose alkalinity? What do you use to maintain calcium and alkalinity?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose alkalinity? What do you use to maintain calcium and alkalinity?
My Mans Miami Reef to the rescue!

I am just dosing 10000ML Kalk continuously for 20 hours. I don't test CA or MG right now since my red sea test kits are expired so not sure how accurate they are. I did get an ICP test in the summer and it was fine besides the Iodine/Iron so I increased my weekly dose of lugols to 20 drops/week and Redsea Iron to 20ML/Week. Besides that I am not paying attention to MG since my last tank 25% waterchanges every 2 months with fritz salt kept it above 1400. Now that I am using IO I want to make sure it doesn't drop below 1300. Based on BRS calculator it would cost me $20 to bring my MG up by 100PPM.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much magnesium should he add for his limewater to use the RMM method?

Should he initially test magnesium since he dosed limewater for a while without adding magnesium?
I can figure out how much to dose since i will test before and after but I'm curious to what's the best mag flakes to get.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is not the best way to add magnesium due to the inaccuracy of mag tests.

Here’s a thread:

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, at least I can not feel so bad about not staying on top of MG. Even if testing is not accurate I would hope they are at least good for knowing when your consumption is going up or down. When I was testing MG with redsea I found it nearly always was testing at 1440PPM, a number I hear a lot of hobbyist thinking their MG is elevated.

According to the thread I get an idea of my MG consumption, Thanks

Below is my ICP test from June 2023. MG was at 1355PPM which was satisfactory considering the tank had been setup for a year. However, I did use fritz salt during the first year, had minimum growth and since gone to IO salt, so I would not be surprised it my MG has fallen to 1250ppm today.

ICP 2023.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back