Magnesium level in instant ocean salt

knotsmart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am in the process of getting my parameters back in check. Ive been doing multiple 30 to 50% water changes and everything is looking good except my magnesium, which was 800-850ppm. everything else is looking good.
sal. 1.026
cal 500
ph 8.4
kh 10
phos between 0-.25
nitrate between 0-5

I have long used Instant Ocean (the orange box not the purple). As a result of my mag being low ive been adding Brightwell magnesium( the powder form not liquid). so far ive added 2 containers and am additional Seachem Mag(powder/flake) and have gotten my level up to about 1050ppm. I wondered what the Mag level is when initially mixed and tested the newly mixed water and it was 800-850ppm.

It just occurred to me that maybe my test kit is not accurate.

Can someone confirm that the Instant Ocean salt has the appropriate level of Mag (1200-1300ppm) when mixed or is it low??

thanks Jay

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 507

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect an error. IO has much higher magnesium than that. Close to NSW levels at the salinity you have elected.

So before dosing massive amounts, I'd double check the magnesium somehow.

OP
OP
knotsmart

knotsmart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect an error. IO has much higher magnesium than that. Close to NSW levels at the salinity you have elected.

So before dosing massive amounts, I'd double check the magnesium somehow.

thanks for the feedback randy.. you just confirmed my suspicion.. tomorrow im buying a new Red sea test kit. if my old seachem test is off im sure my mag level in the DT is off the chart.. time for another 50% WC.

FYI, although im new to this forum, I downloaded and printed an article you wrote YEARS ago on water parameters and keep it as my "go to" bible when I forget something. I have great comfort knowing youre somehow affiliated with this forum.

thanks again

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am in the process of getting my parameters back in check. Ive been doing multiple 30 to 50% water changes and everything is looking good except my magnesium, which was 800-850ppm. everything else is looking good.
sal. 1.026
cal 500
ph 8.4
kh 10
phos between 0-.25
nitrate between 0-5

I have long used Instant Ocean (the orange box not the purple). As a result of my mag being low ive been adding Brightwell magnesium( the powder form not liquid). so far ive added 2 containers and am additional Seachem Mag(powder/flake) and have gotten my level up to about 1050ppm. I wondered what the Mag level is when initially mixed and tested the newly mixed water and it was 800-850ppm.

It just occurred to me that maybe my test kit is not accurate.

Can someone confirm that the Instant Ocean salt has the appropriate level of Mag (1200-1300ppm) when mixed or is it low??

thanks Jay

I test every new box before I get it.

The company is known to be very very inconsistent.

Looking at my records I have tested their Magnesium Levels anywhere from 1185 to 1695

So it is all over the place.

You might want to switch brands if you want a more Consistant Salt.

OP
OP
knotsmart

knotsmart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. yup, faulty test.. bought a new red sea test .. the current mag level is 1800ppm , did a 50gl WC today and will re-test tomorrow.. I tested the IO salt& @ 1.025 the mag level was 1480 ppm. Mixing up another 30 gl now..

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back