Magnesium question

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having an issue with calerpa in my 28 gallon JBJ. In discussing this with many people we thought we would try increasing the Mag levels to 1650ppm to see if it might help with this problem. I know this works for bryopsis so we thought we would give it a try.Well I raised the levels a little each day and got the levels to 1650. On the second day when the lights came on in the morning the tank seemed a little cloudy. I checked things and could not see any issues. It cleared in an hour or so. Well the next morning it was even more cloudy. It cleared in a few hours. Now when the lights come on it is so cloudy you can hardly see into the tank, it clears up by noon. What could be the cause and is it harmful?

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not really answer your question but raising Mag for me did not affect the Caulerpa in my refugium. I used Mag to clear up Bryopsis a few months ago and it worked pretty well. I raised Mag levels with Kent Tech M to around 2000 and did no water change for 4 weeks then gradually let levels drop.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was found to be a certain ingredient in the kent brand Mag that was having an effect on bryopsis not the actual Magnesium.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Kent Tech M has something different in it that the others don't, thats what kills Bryopsis. And Bryopsis is a clean water algae. What your doing won't affect the Caulerpa. Is it growing in your DT? Just throw a bunch of snails or a sea hare in there, they'll clear that right up.
To get your tank back to normal, get some Instant Ocean, this mixes up low on the elements, you'll be able to bring that mag down some doing a couple water changes with it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back