Snails = spawn when I use ozone

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ozone once a week. I turn it on around 8pm and let it run for 24 hours.

When I check my tank in the morning, I manually turn on the lights, and I see my tank is cloudy with my trochus snails spawning.

This observation happens like clockwork. I can bet my snails will spawn when I turn the ozone on.

The spawn clears up the the time I come home from work.

It’s possible it’s a coincidence; I check the tank in the morning to see if the water is clearer, but I really doubt it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some creatures are known to spawn during stress, but it doesn't necessarily mean stress if they are taking some chemical que from the water as indicating that it is time.

Extracts of various species of algae have also been shown to induce spawning in a number of marine invertebrates including bivalves, chitons (Polyplacophora) and sea urchins

The ability to induce spawning using a heterospecific source of chemical cue has been shown in a limited number of marine invertebrate species

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can't remember what article it was I was reading through (if I could remember what species it was about I could probably find it again), but they mentioned that sometimes ozone can be used to induce spawning in some critters (it didn't work for the species they were working with though; temp change and something else did).

Anyway, very interesting observation! Do you know what species of Trochus snails you have?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back