Cant get water to clear up

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40gal breeder that has been set up almost 1 year. Water parameters are ph 8.4 alk 10.6 cal.426 mag. 1230 phosphates .03 nitrates 5ppm salinity 1.026. Has 3 clown 2 damsel and a hippo tang. Also has a cleaner shrimp and about 10 blue leg hermets. About 2 weeks ago my water started getting cloudy and I couldn't get it filtered out. I did a large water change and it took care of the problem. For about a week. Now we are back to being cloudy again. Only thing that is new is the hippo tang but that is just in the last few days. I've ran it through carbon for a few days but still.cloudy. even did some clarity yesterday and it's no better today then it was. I don't know what is causing it all of a sudden. I haven't had any issues with cloudy water except on tank cleaning day when I clean the sand bed.

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40gal breeder that has been set up almost 1 year. Water parameters are ph 8.4 alk 10.6 cal.426 mag. 1230 phosphates .03 nitrates 5ppm salinity 1.026. Has 3 clown 2 damsel and a hippo tang. Also has a cleaner shrimp and about 10 blue leg hermets. About 2 weeks ago my water started getting cloudy and I couldn't get it filtered out. I did a large water change and it took care of the problem. For about a week. Now we are back to being cloudy again. Only thing that is new is the hippo tang but that is just in the last few days. I've ran it through carbon for a few days but still.cloudy. even did some clarity yesterday and it's no better today then it was. I don't know what is causing it all of a sudden. I haven't had any issues with cloudy water except on tank cleaning day when I clean the sand bed.
Also water has a green tinge to it when I put it in a specimen cup.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's small and I am planning to get a 150 gal soon

Problem is they stunt growth when people do that.

Soon would need to be soon, as blue hippos grow fast, and if they don't have room they get stressed, and if they get stressed, well, they are one of the biggest ich magnets i have ever had, that i swore i would avoid if possible.

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is they stunt growth when people do that.

Soon would need to be soon, as blue hippos grow fast, and if they don't have room they get stressed, and if they get stressed, well, they are one of the biggest ich magnets i have ever had, that i swore i would not get away, and try to avoid if possible.
The thread is about water quality. Not my choice of fish.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's small and I am planning to get a 150 gal soon
Should get ya out 2 years before upgrade required.
This one in a 65G 3 years before upgrade with an yellow as well.
IMG_0332.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success using aquaclear filters when i've had water cloudyness.

Also is your carbon tumbling?

Might've missed it too but what is your current filtration system? Canister filter or sump or hob?
Hob for a 75 gal carbon sits pretty tightly inside the filter. It's all of a sudden as well.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a Bacteria bloom if you said 2 weeks AFTER water change.
I don't believe its your Calcium precipitating out with your Mg levels being in range.

For now as a precausion i would drop a air stone and oxygenate your tank as a safty incase it is a bacteria bloom. As your saturated O2 will tank by the result of it.

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a Bacteria bloom if you said 2 weeks AFTER water change.
I don't believe its your Calcium precipitating out with your Mg levels being in range.

For now as a precausion i would drop a air stone and oxygenate your tank as a safty incase it is a bacteria bloom. As your saturated O2 will tank by the result of it.
Is this something I should wait out?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back