Magnesium reduction easy way??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blake7393
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Blake7393

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Location
Kendal
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, im struggling with high magnesium. Anyone know of an easier way to reduce it without all the water changes?
Cheers Blake
 
My Parameters are
No3 20ppm
Calcium 425
Salinity 1.026
Magnesium 1650
Kh 8
 
I'm losing a torch coral at the moment that's the only reason I've tested the magnesium level cause my other parameters are the same as usual
 
Unless you added massive amounts, that value is test error. Don’t just accept test kit results.

That said, if it is high, only water changes can lower it.

Try that test on new salt water.
 
Unless you added massive amounts, that value is test error. Don’t just accept test kit results.

That said, if it is high, only water changes can lower it.

Try that test on new salt water.
I'm dealing with the same problem. Not that high but it's been on a trend up for a month even with water changes.
250gal tank with 40gal water changes every 10 days.

Today i got Trident 1425 and hanna 1480.
Everything else in range.

I dose Kalkwasser + All for Reef + Alkalinity (to compensate for an Alk trend down in this tank)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 
I'm dealing with the same problem. Not that high but it's been on a trend up for a month even with water changes.
250gal tank with 40gal water changes every 10 days.

Today i got Trident 1425 and hanna 1480.
Everything else in range.

I dose Kalkwasser + All for Reef + Alkalinity (to compensate for an Alk trend down in this tank)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sounds like test error. Magnesium cannot ever rise on its own. Either salinity is rising, you are adding it, or it is test error. I do not recommend that most folks even test magnesium since testing is often inaccurate and it is easily managed without testing.

This has more:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/just-say-no-to-magnesium-testing-rmm-is-born.1017528/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new