Magnets for reefers. Do you use them?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all magnets are reef-safe. However, certain types are coated in safe epoxy.

You can even use magnets for organization outside of the tank.

Do you use magnets in/around your tank?

Do you recommend any epoxy reef-safe magnets?

8C6EFA73-18B7-4E13-89ED-45A12BB24F9C.jpeg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a really neat 3D printed frag rack on the 3D printed forum. Relative to this magnet discussion, there was a really easy-to-follow guide on how to add the magnets both for interior and exterior to the tank. I believe it had the actual magnets to purchase as well as the directions to complete.

I can try and find it again if you would like, let me know :)

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy coated magnets should be safe but it’s always a dangerous game. Most equipment has magnets in it or used with them, and rust is always a risk. Just a part of the game. I’ve seen plenty of magnets in frag racks or power heads rust after years of use. Just gotta keep an eye out for signs of rust, bloating of magnets that should be epoxy coated, that kinda thing.

plenty of places online sell epoxy magnets and some reef equipment companies just sell the magnets they use separately.

k&j is a big magnet company and even has a web page dedicated to their magnets in an aquarium, what size magnets are required for different aquarium purposes, etc.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Having made frag racks years ago I used epoxy coated magnets ( neodymium ) for the outside magnets, I found that they got tiny hairline scratches ( just normal handling ) and would rust fairly fast. The ones that were coated in resin or encased in acrylic seemed to last longer.

jaevans96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I know late post but after researching multiple forums/videos from various years i’ve come up to the conclusion.

Neodymium magnets can not be used (unless plastic coated. These are best magnets you can buy that are reef safe, you can find them at K&J magnetics). Even the epoxy coated ones will eventually leach.

Ceramic magnets are safe but not 100%, basically use at your own risk but proven to work. The downfall with Ceramic is they are not very strong. However I’ve discovered a trick on accident.

I was too impatient to wait for K&J to ship because i’ve been at this for a week. (If you have the patience then you should wait these magnets are very strong and full proof). So i decided to make a trip to Home Depot to look for ceramic magnets. I found these rubber coated ceramic magnets and i thought perfect. When i brought them home i realized the rubber coating made them even less strong. However I already had ordered neodymium magnets before researching so I thought to try ceramic to the neodymium. Bam! It worked almost as good as two neodymiums together. So i put the rubber coated ceramic in the tank and the neodymium outside the tank so it would not be in the water at all and it works great. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps someone in the future, thanks!

1st pic is the rubber coated ceramic magnets
2nd pic is the rubber coated ceramic in the tank and the neodymium outside.
88C78B0E-CCD1-4C17-9A1D-A08DA6169410.png
18777C11-079F-4CDA-97BE-A6CE452BC205.jpeg

Last edited:

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh on a side note, my nero 3 rusted as well after about 1.5 year of usage. Thinking of pulling my other one... had some weird issues relating to rust from the nero/3d printed racks

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnets inside are usually cheap and aren't plastic coated.

I’ll make a post if I ever have an issue. Only have one rack that is printed but it’s been in tank at least 3 years. Not too worried if it does as the magnets were PTFE coated.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back