Magnets that are reef safe?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to make some magnetic shelves in my tank with some shelf rock. I dont know which magnets are reef safe. If anyone has done this before or bought magnets for something else going in their tank can you link where to buy the magnets from. I looked on Amazon but I am not sure if any of those are really okay to use and don't want to leach anything into my tank. Any help is great thanks!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shelves in my tank for the hawkfishes I have to perch. The only reef safe magnets I know are the plastic coated from K&J magnetics. For the dry side, I just use the cheapie epoxy coated ones from Amazon.

Edit: don't use those cheapie epoxy ones on the wet side, they will leach in your tank. Plastidip isn't a long term solution either.
20220108_183210.jpg
20220108_183204_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dozens of the very same except 3/4 diameter x 3/8. ~#10 pull strength, from K&J. They're selection will boggle your mind. Pretty much any size, any strength. Fast shipping, buy extras!

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dozens of the very same except 3/4 diameter x 3/8. ~#10 pull strength, from K&J. They're selection will boggle your mind. Pretty much any size, any strength. Fast shipping, buy extras!
Thanks I have been on their site and the selection does boggle the mind. I plan on ordering some this week.

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well dos the plastic coating hold up and I assume super gluing to rack does not damage it? Has any used the epoxy coated versions? The coating doesnt seem very thick and one seems to be damaged with copper color showing through. Would I be better off with the plastic coated versions?

I was going to try embedding these in a 1/4" cut sheet of acrylic using a Fostner bit to chisel out the hole with a nice clean sheet glued at 90 degree from it but thinking of just gluing magnet straight to black egg crate now for easy.

1643142824314.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy coated magnets will eventually leach metals into your tank. Been there done it. I've plasti dipped and just used the epoxy coating, they both fail within months.

I use the plastic magnets in tank for floating shelf that my Hawkfish(s) use to perch (see my post above). One of those shelves is over 2 years old with no issues @ all. I pull the shelf on occasion to check for damage or seal failure. The plastic is glued to the rock with just gel super glue, just allow time to cure fully.

Edit: As said above the epoxy ones are fine to use on the dry side, better price is on Amazon for them.

Current photo:
20220125_130923.jpg
20220125_130912.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well dos the plastic coating hold up and I assume super gluing to rack does not damage it? Has any used the epoxy coated versions? The coating doesnt seem very thick and one seems to be damaged with copper color showing through. Would I be better off with the plastic coated versions?

I was going to try embedding these in a 1/4" cut sheet of acrylic using a Fostner bit to chisel out the hole with a nice clean sheet glued at 90 degree from it but thinking of just gluing magnet straight to black egg crate now for easy.

1643142824314.png
Someone sent me a pic of their epoxy magnets leeching and rusted and they had been in there less than 8 months so I would say go with the plastic ones and save yourself a headache.

You should be able to glue the plastic ones to egg crate just fine.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some plastic coated magnets from K&J which did leak rust after 6 or 7 years. Not sure what caused it or if it caused any harm, but I did notice the plastic was covered in rusty residue during the last tank move. I added an extra coating of e6000 rubber cement to hopefully help avoid that in the future.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they last me 6+ years, I can't complain, lol. I figure I'm at 2 now, so far so good. Heck saltwater is corrosive as he!!, as we all know. So some sort of longevity is nice.
6 years is definitely better than 6momths. Magnets aren't exactly cheap. Theyre not the most expensive thing in the hobby but I dont want to replace them every 6 months thats for sure.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be sure they lasted 6 or 7 years. I'm not super observant about that stuff so they could have leaked after a couple years and I just didn't notice.

There were no issues with the coral though so either it was fairly recent or just didn't matter. Was a 120g tank and only one magnet had a little rust.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW... I also found Applied Magnets to be cheaper than K&J Magnets. this was many years ago though.

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the modification... great idea.. would those work on 1" glass ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back