Magnifica anemone reef update. They are loving the switch to halides!

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I switched from 4 Kessil A360We's to 2, 250 watt DE 14K halides over the Magnifica reef. The halides are about 9 inches above the water, slowly lowered from 15" at the beginning. They seem to like it. The bleached mag is a recent rescue. Fortunately, it has a good feeding response so high hopes it recovers its color. The baby gigantea is also a new addition and so far, it's doing great. Fingers crossed.
Flow is off for the first half of the video. It's just so peaceful looking when they stretch out like that.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I switched from 4 Kessil A360We's to 2, 250 watt DE 14K halides over the Magnifica reef. The halides are about 9 inches above the water, slowly lowered from 15" at the beginning. They seem to like it. The bleached mag is a recent rescue. Fortunately, it has a good feeding response so high hopes it recovers its color. The baby gigantea is also a new addition and so far, it's doing great. Fingers crossed.
Flow is off for the first half of the video. It's just so peaceful looking when they stretch out like that.

Gorgeous! How many clowns are in there?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss halides! The tank is looking great. The gig looks healthy. Is is from Reef Beauties?

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! How many clowns are in there?
Thank you! My breeding pair of wild caught Pink skunks now have it to themselves. They won't tolerate the presence of any other clown in this tank now that they are breeding. Every Mag is theirs! I will also have to move out the domino damsel. He wants in the Mags as well, but they won't let him.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My breeding pair of wild caught Pink skunks now have it to themselves. They won't tolerate the presence of any other clown in this tank now that they are breeding. Every Mag is theirs! I will also have to move out the domino damsel. He wants in the Mags as well, but they won't let him.
Those may be the 2 happiest skunk clowns in the world

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss halides! The tank is looking great. The gig looks healthy. Is is from Reef Beauties?
Thank you! Yes, I ordered 3 of their small gigs and all 3 came in perfect! I have one in each of my tanks to see how they do under different lighting.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes, I ordered 3 of their small gigs and all 3 came in perfect! I have one in each of my tanks to see how they do under different lighting.
Please share photos if you can! I'm also interested to see how lighting affects coloration, especially with the tan ones.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do dominos actually host anemones, or do they just hide near them? I could never tell.

Gorgeous tank, afaik those colors will only get better as the halides work their magic :)

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do dominos actually host anemones, or do they just hide near them? I could never tell.

Gorgeous tank, afaik those colors will only get better as the halides work their magic :)
Thank you for the compliment!
Yes, I have seen this one cuddle up inside the larger Mags at lights out when the Pinks' are settled into their Mag of choice. I've seen videos of dominos swimming amongst the tentacles of large anemones for protection. It's not really a nem/host/clown type of relationship though. I've not seen them rubbing up against the tentacles, mostly just swimming carefully in between them. This one seems to know to avoid the sticky tips.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome - keep it up! I would be very nervous if these guys come close to the wavemakers. Any accidents? My haddoni got caught in the MP40 last week so I'm still paranoid.
Thank you! There are nets on the Gyre wavemakers. I've not had a single anemone get caught in these pumps and some of them are very close.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! What brand of halides and ballasts did you go with?
Thanks! I'm using Hamilton reflectors and M80 ballasts. I'm running 14K Reefbrite bulbs.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back