Magnifica Anemone

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0636.JPG

I could not pass up this Magnifica I saw at a local LFS. They said they’ve had it over a month and it looked healthy to me. I’ve been following along reading about them on these forums daily for months now.

I have cipro on hand just in case, but 3 days later it still looks great.

Very sticky tentacles. Reacts to food in the water (mouth opens, closes, puckers a little).

However, the most magical thing was within 10 minutes, my clowns were all over it rubbing on it. They will not leave it now.

I’m crossing my fingers and will do my best to keep this beautiful animal healthy

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful find! If you run into trouble and have to cipro contact Amoo as he is the one that wrote the how to on it and has help many many succeed with them.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth looks good. Even if it opens some during the day, don't freight, give it a chance to fix it. If it starts looking droopy, that's a bad sign.

In the mean time, watch the foot. The foot will tell you if it's happy, wants to move....etc

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful find! If you run into trouble and have to cipro contact Amoo as he is the one that wrote the how to on it and has help many many succeed with them.

Mihn (Orion) wrote the original guide and shared with me what he tried. I refined it and tested beyond what he did. I posted it over here, but he wrote it. We both just do it slightly differently. He has the original sticky on RC which predates mine, though last time I checked he had my way of doing it in the sticky as well.

OP
OP
B

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth looks good. Even if it opens some during the day, don't freight, give it a chance to fix it. If it starts looking droopy, that's a bad sign.

In the mean time, watch the foot. The foot will tell you if it's happy, wants to move....etc

Thanks @Amoo!

I take it if the foot is wider/flat it intends to stay, and if it is tall/columnar it will be on the move?

I keep obsessively checking the mouth for any signs of drooping. I’ve only seen it pucker after I feed...which alarmed me at first but it appears tight still.

I’m a bit paranoid because I love it so much, so I will just stay on top of it until more time passes (is there even a time frame when you are “in the clear”??)

Thanks all!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, now lets see some pics of clowns inside this guy!
It would be neat to see more natural light to see it's true colors, but post what ya got!

OP
OP
B

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D85C7703-763A-4B3F-B4C7-28B69B0CE48A.jpeg

I’ll post a more natural light photo tomorrow I get home too late during the week, but I will for sure get something tomorrow

The anemone has been in the same spot for 4 days now and has been looking good. Fingers are still crossed!

OP
OP
B

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get as natural colors as I could! I turned off all but whites on my Hydras but it gave this warm/yellow look first picture still has some blues obviously. I could watch the clowns go in and out of the anemone all day truly magical

The other clown is kicked out during the day and sits in the BTA neighbor...something neither showed any interest in until the mag was introduced! 2A25F609-69D8-416A-8766-CE43FED9D1E1.jpeg B218C4E6-C7CC-4F1A-B8ED-FC15605B7B3D.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem has moved a little bit to the right (our right looking at the last few pictures I posted).

Mouth still looks good.

Are slight movements okay? Or am I reading too much into it.

Thanks

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will generally try to eventually reach the highest point on whatever structure they are on. Hence whatever the highest point on the structure is, he will probably slowly make his way there.

This is how I believe people often end up with them climbing the back glass. If they can touch it, they know there is something higher close, they will move to that location and climb.

OP
OP
B

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will generally try to eventually reach the highest point on whatever structure they are on. Hence whatever the highest point on the structure is, he will probably slowly make his way there.

This is how I believe people often end up with them climbing the back glass. If they can touch it, they know there is something higher close, they will move to that location and climb.

That makes sense! He is slightly higher now by moving a little to the right.

Does that generally indicate it wants more light then? Or they just want to be the highest they can be regardless?

Thanks so much

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back