Mailing ocean sand from florida

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone theoretically had access to the Florida ocean, would there be any benefit to mailing a jar of wet sand to another state?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how it’s mailed. More than a day or two may cause more issues with any potential die off. You could just order Florida live sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater ot Gulf Live Rock

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that ordering from Tampa Bay Saltwater would allow you to get the additional biodiversity while minimizing the risk from collecting and shipping sand.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking more for the biodiversity
Depending on where you collect from, the biodiversity will be there, whether it is beneficial or not is another matter. I would avoid carribean and south atlantic sand during summer months.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zip lock bags double or triple bagged to be safe shipped in a priority mail large flat rat box. As much as you can fit in the box up to 70lb ship for $18.95 using pirateship or about $23 if you buy from the post office. Would be worth trying for me.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your travel plans but a Tupperware of it shouldn’t get flagged by TSA if you’re flying domestically. If you can collect & put it in your tank within 24-48 hours then whatever microdiversity should live. Just beware that the good comes with the bad and you could potentially introduce eggs of pests & flatworms along with all that beneficial bacteria. Imo, would be a neat idea for a 5 gallon stand alone system to see what happens but not a good idea to put in your beautiful established reef tanks

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zip lock bags double or triple bagged to be safe shipped in a priority mail large flat rat box. As much as you can fit in the box up to 70lb ship for $18.95 using pirateship or about $23 if you buy from the post office. Would be worth trying for me.
Was thinking the same. Significantly cheaper so not sure the downside?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking the same. Significantly cheaper so not sure the downside?
The only down side I can think of would be where the sand is collected. If just scooped up from the beach I would pass due to possibilities of contaminants / pollution. If its from deeper waters I would try it. But this is JMO no facts or experience to pull from.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Florida resident and avid salt fisherman. No way I would put anything from local waters into my systems. Too much fecal matter and bacteria. For that matter I haven't kept a fish in over a decade. Our waters are dying here. Cleaning it would be a must therefore defeating the purpose if you want some kind of biodiversity.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why avoid during summer?

Vibrio strains, Red Tide, Arcobacter, Rhodobacter. All of these THRIVE in 81-83 degree water... about the same temperature as gulf, south atlantic, or keys water and sand in the middle of August.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 129 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back