Maintaining algae

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently started up this tank I have a few corals, fish and also some snails. I noticed that my glass, live rock and also sand is starting to get some algae on it. Is it because maybe I’m keeping the lights on too long? Should I do a water change to fight it(still haven’t done one yet)? Do the corals cause algae? Also what can I add in the tank to maybe help with this?
ae873e18f086320f3eac6b1ff3f75cef.jpg

downloadking2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your
So I recently started up this tank I have a few corals, fish and also some snails. I noticed that my glass, live rock and also sand is starting to get some algae on it. Is it because maybe I’m keeping the lights on too long? Should I do a water change to fight it(still haven’t done one yet)? Do the corals cause algae? Also what can I add in the tank to maybe help with this?
ae873e18f086320f3eac6b1ff3f75cef.jpg
Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your levels are of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If your ammonia is high the fish could die.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bispora and they said I can start adding things so that’s what I did.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently did you start it?

It looks like you used nicely mature live rock which is great. But if the tank was new as well as the sand you're going to have to go through a bit of the ugly stages. Doesn't look like anything to worry about or take corrective action with.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your Tank is not established yet it still looks new. You should wait to add corals. The only thing fast in this hobby is death. Have you even tested your water to see where your levels are of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If your ammonia is high the fish could die.

Ack! I had flashbacks of The Shining... all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy :eek:

downloadking2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a test kit as soon as you can and just test the water and also check the salinity. Try to keep those things stable through weekly water changes and dont overfeed. Fish will always look hungry.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought live dry **** caribsea, live sand caribsea, and also live water from the aquarium store near me. I have a test kit will post my results tonight when I check it. Salinity I believe I have it at 1.025

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3f09476e8bfa3f3f4f66914d13fb23cc.jpg
93c7095f1850dbd1f5c39022ca765a9c.jpg

Sorry for the late response but theses are the test kit readings 1st pic is with flash

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought live dry **** caribsea, live sand caribsea, and also live water from the aquarium store near me. I have a test kit will post my results tonight when I check it. Salinity I believe I have it at 1.025
No such thing as live water. I would start doing regular water changes.

Your tank is not cycled and is not ready for fish or coral yet.

Cherie Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. I'm new too (7 months) and yes it was too early but they are there now. When your tank sets up it will go through a cycle and it's nothing you did or didn't do. The stuff on the gravel is most likely a diatom bloom, which is part of the cycle. It will run its course. You can suck the diatoms off your substrate to make it look better if you want. Keep testing your water (I tested every other day) and do 15-20% water changes once a week, don't over feed your fish (what they can eat in 3 min) and it will all be good. It will cycle over and over just like in nature. It is all about the chemistry in the tank as to what happens. Just read, read, read info. on the hobby. Reef2Reef is a great site to reference. I watched Bulk Reef Supply: 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube (they show starting a new tank) and you don't have to buy every piece of equipment. There are basic proven "facts" and then there are "opinions". The thing that helped me the most was my own research and common sense. Don't get stressed out. I admit I've have had crying meltdowns myself but all in all I enjoy it. Good luck new reefer!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back