Maintaining flow in dip fluid without using a pump

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I keep everything moving in my dip solution by gently shaking the container and tumbling the corals around. However, dipping a bunch of candycanes today caused some tissue damage on the smaller colony in the container. What can I use to keep coral dip flowing? will an airstone work? I don't have any spare powerheads for exclusive use with a bucket of dip and it's not realistic for me to handle the corals directly for 10 minutes straight without injuring the coral.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I keep everything moving in my dip solution by gently shaking the container and tumbling the corals around. However, dipping a bunch of candycanes today caused some tissue damage on the smaller colony in the container. What can I use to keep coral dip flowing? will an airstone work? I don't have any spare powerheads for exclusive use with a bucket of dip and it's not realistic for me to handle the corals directly for 10 minutes straight without injuring the coral.
I have a much easier solution: just use a turkey baster every couple minutes on the corals while dipping.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a much easier solution: just use a turkey baster every couple minutes on the corals while dipping.
Should I instead just blast out the coral hard in the dip quickly and then put it straight in? I don't exactly get why I want to submerge them in insecticides for an extended period of time.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I instead just blast out the coral hard in the dip quickly and then put it straight in? I don't exactly get why I want to submerge them in insecticides for an extended period of time.
no, always do it for the amount of time recommended in the instructions, basting them occasionally during that period. some very smart people that design these products determined the time needed for a reason.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back