OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people would stop taking what BRS say as gospel.

Thery're a business trying to sell stuff, and not always in the best interest of the hobbiest.
i do take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt, they’d be a lot more credible without consistently trying to sell or upsell - but was the easiest reference I had a the moment of typing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I’ll try Kalk next as a additive, and start reading about the math to effectively dose that - assuming phosphates are still an issue

My lfs has been using AquaVitro salt which has never fully mixed in the buckets I buy from them resulting in a powder siting at the bottom of the bucket no matter how long I let the heater/pump stay in - I think switching into home mixing salt is a good step to take as well

Aquavitro is a fine salt, so it is likely fine even with precipitate, but making your own is always a good idea.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let you have the last word here, but I’ll start a different thread to show costs of dosing vs water changes.
I am not even the one that brought up price. That's what you are missing. I brought up the fact that dosing to go from 8 to 11 and keeping it there is not smart in a 5 gallon tank and that a simple salt change to a higher DKH salt would be better and dosing to maintain at that point. Like I said, I have agreed with you through 90% of this post but I think you got your wires crossed. Only thing I said about price was that we would be arguing single digit dollars on a five gallon tank regardless of the method used, yours or buying man.... come on, I have tried all day to not let this get to this point. I totally freaking agree with you dosing is freaking cheaper. I have never said that. But I said him changing salt at this point it wouldn't even be enough money to throw at a red light beggar. It's 5 gallons. He isn't running a 7 year old 400 gallon SPS tank. That is all I am saying. Start whatever thread you want but leave me out of it, as I said, I agreed with ya. Dang man.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested, I compare costs of maintaining alk and calcium by dosing vs water change in this thread:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back