Maintenance bacteria

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn between using Dr. Tim's time release gel packs vs Vibrant to have a constant supply of good bacteria.

Any thoughts welcome

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your goal by using these products?

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your goal by using these products?
Basically this is why: A healthy, balanced aquarium relies on beneficial bacteria to break down fish waste, dead plant material and other organic debris that accumulate in the tank. They keep the water crystal clear and prevent toxic ammonia and nitrite from accumulating

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically this is why: A healthy, balanced aquarium relies on beneficial bacteria to break down fish waste, dead plant material and other organic debris that accumulate in the tank. They keep the water crystal clear and prevent toxic ammonia and nitrite from accumulating
I wouldn't use either if I didn't have some issue they're suppose to fix. The beneficial bacteria mentioned in your quote will already be present in a cycled tank, it's not something you have to add. Except of course for the initial dose of nitrifying bacteria on a fishless cycle, but you don't even need that. If you just add some ammonia it will cycle on it's own, the bacteria is in the air. Ammonia and nitrite are processed by bacteria already present in the aquarium after cycle and should not need any help populating unless there was a tank crash or something. Not all "beneficial bacteria" are the same, you have the kind that keeps the nitrogen cycle going and there are also others that may help out compete algae and dinos etc.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything said. I personally use Tropic Marin Nitribiotic. I use it every time I add a new fish or adding a bunch of livestock at once. May not have "needed" it. Anecdotally, I have noticed my reef has benefitted. Anecdotally being the key word.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think your tank doesn’t have that already? Plus vibrant bacteria doesn’t live long.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used waste away. The gels look nice. It really lowered my nitrates. Have you thought about live phyto?

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only goal is ensure a good supply of good bacteria to help prevent problems going forward. When we do water changes aren't we removing bacteria both good and bad. Is it being replenished? I dont think salts contain any bacteria to resupply. So it seems logical overtime bacteria is being depleted and we no clue whether any new bacteria repopulating are the good ones. As we now know more and having good bacteria in our gut is so important. We have m tests for so many things but no tests for bacteria. Just all anecdotal.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used waste away. The gels look nice. It really lowered my nitrates. Have you thought about live phyto?
Yes do use live phyto from time to time. Also will use put in a fresh supply of copepods from time to time. Try to things in moderation in the hope of staying whatever bad curve may come my way

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we do water changes aren't we removing bacteria both good and bad.
Most bacteria is on the rocks and sand and would not be affected in a water change.

So it seems logical overtime bacteria is being depleted and we no clue whether any new bacteria repopulating are the good ones.
But bacteria isn’t being depleted. And even if they are a little bit, why do you believe that it isn’t able to repopulate itself?
We have m tests for so many things but no tests for bacteria. Just all anecdotal.
Aqubiome or something like that does bacteria tests now. But even not using that, are you relying on much more than anecdotes to go out and buy bacteria products you can’t confirm have any lasting effects?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only goal is ensure a good supply of good bacteria to help prevent problems going forward. When we do water changes aren't we removing bacteria both good and bad. Is it being replenished? I dont think salts contain any bacteria to resupply. So it seems logical overtime bacteria is being depleted and we no clue whether any new bacteria repopulating are the good ones. As we now know more and having good bacteria in our gut is so important. We have m tests for so many things but no tests for bacteria. Just all anecdotal.

The water changes are not removing a whole lot as most of what matters is on the rocks and sand.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bacteria is on the rocks and sand and would not be affected in a water change.

But bacteria isn’t being depleted. And even if they are a little bit, why do you believe that it isn’t able to repopulate itself?

Aqubiome or something like that does bacteria tests now. But even not using that, are you relying on much more than anecdotes to go out and buy bacteria products you can’t confirm have any lasting effects?
So pretty you are saying the bacteria companies are selling snake oil? I find that hard to believe

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty you are saying the bacteria companies are selling snake oil? I find that hard to believe
They are selling products designed for new aquariums that don't yet have any bacteria at all, or specific strains designed for specific uses.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are selling products designed for new aquariums that don't yet have any bacteria at all, or specific strains designed for specific uses.
Yes, that's true but also for general maintenance going forward according to their info

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's true but also for general maintenance going forward according to their info

What the reefing community is trying to say is that 'maintenance bacteria' is a fad and unnecessary, so save your money. Question is who are you going to believe? Experienced aquarists with nothing to gain or commercial entities? ;)

A properly set up reef aquarium will already have a diverse bacterial community that continuously balances and renews itself. If you need an example as proof, my small nano has been running for nearly 12 years without any additives and my latest Aquabiomics bacterial report shows a very diverse bacteria community that is comparable to a typical 2-3 year old established system.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much, in your intended application

As mentioned above, once the bacteria in your tank have started to populate all of your solid surfaces, their populations will wax and wane as their fuel does the same.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about this Charley;
If the bacteria was required as an ongoing additive, wouldn't ALL of us would be talking about adding it as part of our dosing regimes, just the same as dosing for corals?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back