Majano or Aiptasia?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mind the cyano and diatoms. Currently starting to win my battle with LCA via silicate dosing.

Is this Majano?

IMG_4878.jpeg
IMG_4879.jpeg

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Aptasia remove it.
Looks more like aiptasia

I’ve removed it after the photo. Just trying to prepare a plan if I still see them returning.

Can either give some insight on what makes it more look like aiptasia than Majano?

Also should I grab a single nudi since there’s not many yet and just allow it to possibly starve?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve removed it after the photo. Just trying to prepare a plan if I still see them returning.

Can either give some insight on what makes it more look like aiptasia than Majano?

Also should I grab a single nudi since there’s not many yet and just allow it to possibly starve?
I would not grab a nudi. It will starve quickly without anything to eat. You can grab a peppermint and if it doesn't have anything to et it will eventually eat leftover fish food but a nudi will just starve if you don't see any right now.

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

As someone who has raised thousands of Majano over the past year................... (don't ask), I'll tell you that Majano has thicker tips with a stubby, almost BTA-like appearance.

When I started a new tank recently with a few aptasia, I added peppermint shrimp and didn't feed them. They took care of the aptasita quickly. :)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As mentioned, majano have an almost bta-like appearance, the tentacles are thicker and have a bubble end. They’re usually also more colorful.
Aiptasia has those brown, curly tentacles (and overall is just ugly to look at).
Peppermint shrimp are common for eating them (I’ll see how they do against my aiptasia once my reeflceaners order arrives)

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re usually also more colorful.
Aiptasia has those brown, curly tentacles (and overall is just ugly to look at).
This is why I was a little confused. It may just be my lights, but these seem more bluish with a greenish mouth.

I’ll go for a couple peppermint shrimps first - although don’t they tend to propagate the aiptasia by letting pieces float away rather than completely devour it like a Nudi?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia can have an iridescent blue and/or green mouth and oral disk.

Berghia are not the best choice if you have only a couple aiptasia. Try aggressive spot control (F-Aiptasia etc). If you have a lot of Aiptasia, Berghia can be a good option. With plenty of food they can make a small army of Aiptasia eaters before their population crashes due to lack of food.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia can have an iridescent blue and/or green mouth and oral disk.

Berghia are not the best choice if you have only a couple aiptasia. Try aggressive spot control (F-Aiptasia etc). If you have a lot of Aiptasia, Berghia can be a good option. With plenty of food they can make a small army of Aiptasia eaters before their population crashes due to lack of food.
I’ve seen so much mixed conclusions about peppermint. I’d really hate to get a Nudi just for it to run out of food.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back