Majano removal

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to attempt removing all the majanos in my reef. I’ll be using the kalk paste method. I have the kind of syringe used for insulin. Will that work?

I know that much like aiptasia majanos release “spores” if they are disturbed. Is it something that happens immediately or will I be able to blast it before it can do so. This is the first time I’ve ever done this so I’m a bit nervous.

Would it work if I took the affected rocks out and injected the anemones out of the tank even though some of them will ball up before I can get to them? I’m willing to do that if I can achieve a better result. Then I’m guaranteed to be able to jab them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to attempt removing all the majanos in my reef. I’ll be using the kalk paste method. I have the kind of syringe used for insulin. Will that work?

I know that much like aiptasia majanos release “spores” if they are disturbed. Is it something that happens immediately or will I be able to blast it before it can do so. This is the first time I’ve ever done this so I’m a bit nervous.

Would it work if I took the affected rocks out and injected the anemones out of the tank even though some of them will ball up before I can get to them? I’m willing to do that if I can achieve a better result. Then I’m guaranteed to be able to jab them.

So, Instead I'm a fan of F-Aiptasia. Majonos are just 1 of 26 species under aiptasia... yes, sadly they'll act the same, so if you break off any bits they'll reform into new ones.

I prefer pulling rocks out because it does cause them to ball up needing less of F-Aiptasia to cover them.

Keep treating AS SOON AS you see them. Waiting just gives them time to create new ones. When they feel threatened, they create new to keep their species alive.

GOOD LUCK!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had majanos for years and kalk paste is the only thing that has ever worked. Aptasia x is a joke. F aptasia maimed them, Then they were fine in 2 days.

A needled syringe also doesn't put out enough to do enough work.

I had to use a 3 mm pipette. I've been bombing them on rocks with this, 20-25 a day for the last 5 days and have only had to hit one, a second time.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried all of the above and Lemon Juice! The only thing worked for me was removed the rocks from the tank and physically removed them with tweezers. It took several tried over the course of 3 months to finally got rid of them all.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that worked for me was the introduction of a spotband butterflyfish. It hasn't eradicated all of them yet, but it's getting close.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I have a syringe without a needle so I’ll use it instead. If I can’t eradicate them I’ll consider a bristle tooth filefish. My tank is only 30 inches long so that’s the only hope I’d have at biological filtration. I’ll have to take my rockwork apart to get them all because one of the anemones is all the way in the back at the bottom of the rocks. I have 11 of the boogers right now so hopefully I’ll get them all the first time.

Back