Majestics (nearly) a pair

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try and pair Majestics. After careful acclimatisation these fish have been in my tank together for a year, they have at best tolerated each other. The dominant one was out in the open, the other spent most of it's time in the rocks, since Christmas it has become braver and the dominant one has become more tolerant of it swimming about. First video, still early days but I now think they are starting to bond as a pair. WOO-HOO

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as bonding pairs, with fish like angels it just a matter of the luck of the draw. If you can't definitively sex them and you get 2 males, they will likely never bond, and may actually become more aggressive towards each other as they mature. They are not like wrasses and clowns where they change sexes giving way to the more dominant. Angels are born either male or female and stay the same. This goes for many fish, when you get lucky and get a male/female pair of species you can definitively sex, it works; if you get 2 males you usually end up in trouble.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as bonding pairs, with fish like angels it just a matter of the luck of the draw. If you can't definitively sex them and you get 2 males, they will likely never bond, and may actually become more aggressive towards each other as they mature. They are not like wrasses and clowns where they change sexes giving way to the more dominant. Angels are born either male or female and stay the same. This goes for many fish, when you get lucky and get a male/female pair of species you can definitively sex, it works; if you get 2 males you usually end up in trouble.

This is incorrect, it is well documented in the scientific and hobby literature that Angelfish are sequential hermaphrodites, born females and the dominant individual transitions to male. Bi-directional sex change is even documented in the literature.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incorrect, it is well documented in the scientific and hobby literature that Angelfish are sequential hermaphrodites, born females and the dominant individual transitions to male. Bi-directional sex change is even documented in the literature.
I totally agree with Pcon. I have successfully 'paired' Regal and Emperor angels by carefully introducing a small adult and a juvenile to allow the larger fish to become a male as it matures. I have found Dwarf angels similar (i have a pair of Coral Beauties in this tank if you look at the video you will spot them)

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…... you can't definitively sex them...….
I will admit I have absolutely no definitive proof of this, it is purely observation both in my system and good quality photographs of pairs of angelfish in the wild.
I have noticed in both large and dwarf angelfish the male (or one) of the fish in the pair has a larger and more coloured operculum spine. My male Regal certainly did. The larger of my Coral Beauties has an extended and colourful spine.
As I have said I have never seen this documented in any scientific literature, but it would be interesting if those members on here with stable 'pair' of angels in their systems could check we may be on to something. My Majestics are still too young to have the extended spine, I hope to observe it as they age.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My statement was only observational as I have seen many examples of angel pairs vehemently battle each other as they matured, more times than I can count. My instincts were these were 2 males battling for dominance. I was mistaken about being born male or female but I do not think they change back to a female once becoming male. So pairing immature species will likely yield a better result.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My statement was only observational as I have seen many examples of angel pairs vehemently battle each other as they matured, more times than I can count. My instincts were these were 2 males battling for dominance. I was mistaken about being born male or female but I do not think they change back to a female once becoming male. So pairing immature species will likely yield a better result.
'I have seen many examples of angel pairs vehemently battle each other as they matured, more times than I can count' With respect that isn't attempting to pair angels it is just bunging two in together and hoping for the best.

Genicanthus have been observed changing from female to male and back to female. I have experienced it with a trio of Genicanthus semifasciatus. I had two females and a male, over approximately 6 months the male reverted to full female colours. If you do a google search there is a long thread about it on another US site. I see no reason why other members of the Family can't do it as well.

If by saying 'pairing immature' you mean two juveniles that will not work, I have found juveniles do not tolerate each other well, you will get aggression and injury to one (or both). You stand a better chance if you start with one juvenile and one small adult just into adult colours.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pomacanthus genus angels are very different in temperment and aggression than other angel genus. It does come with risk mixing these guys, nothing is absolute and there are many variables, unless you have a very large tank, most fail in the long run.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try and pair Majestics. After careful acclimatisation these fish have been in my tank together for a year, they have at best tolerated each other. The dominant one was out in the open, the other spent most of it's time in the rocks, since Christmas it has become braver and the dominant one has become more tolerant of it swimming about. First video, still early days but I now think they are starting to bond as a pair. WOO-HOO

Is that a pair of coral beautys too

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry hit the wrong key :rolleyes:
These were a happy accident. I went into a LFS close to me, I was looking in the tanks and in a darkish corner tank I spotted two coral beauties. They weren't fighting, the smaller one just followed the big one. I stood and watched them for 1/2 hour, they kept fin flicking at each other and there was no aggression. The larger one had the big operculum spine -my test for a male, the other had a small spine. I asked the owner about them, he said how did that happen, I'll get a net and move one before they kill each other. I decided to take a chance and bought both.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pomacanthus genus angels are very different in temperment and aggression than other angel genus. It does come with risk mixing these guys, nothing is absolute and there are many variables, unless you have a very large tank, most fail in the long run.
I am sorry if I'm reading your post wrong but this attempt wasn't on a whim, to get to where I am has taken over 2 years. I spent a lot of the early time reading and researching Majestic angelfish. When I thought I was well prepared I looked for just the right fish for the attempt. When I found them they spent 2 months in a tank separated by a glass panel. When I thought they were comfortable with each other I moved them to a 100gall tub with hiding places, they spent 3 months in there getting used to each other before I added them to my display. They have been in the display for a year now and I have got to this stage. If at any time I thought either or both fish were in jeopardy I would have abandoned the project and moved one or both on.
I went into this with my eyes open and did extensive research before every stage and I had an exit strategy. So I fully researched and understood the risks before each stage.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. I love Majestic angels and so does my wife so had to buy one. Very peaceful fish, and gets on fine with our flame and coral beauty. Your two look amazing.

I have to ask about the school of blue fish you have.. almost look like blue anthias?? They are stunning

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. I love Majestic angels and so does my wife so had to buy one. Very peaceful fish, and gets on fine with our flame and coral beauty. Your two look amazing.

I have to ask about the school of blue fish you have.. almost look like blue anthias?? They are stunning
The blue fish are Fusilier Damsels, smashing peaceful, shoaling fish that compliment the anthias.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry hit the wrong key :rolleyes:
These were a happy accident. I went into a LFS close to me, I was looking in the tanks and in a darkish corner tank I spotted two coral beauties. They weren't fighting, the smaller one just followed the big one. I stood and watched them for 1/2 hour, they kept fin flicking at each other and there was no aggression. The larger one had the big operculum spine -my test for a male, the other had a small spine. I asked the owner about them, he said how did that happen, I'll get a net and move one before they kill each other. I decided to take a chance and bought both.
Do they ever spawn for you

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back