Make gsp grow longer

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you get gsp to grow long and flowing. Everytime Ive tried them, they stay short, and hardly flow around at all. Also they never seem to grow much for me.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a frag of gsp and glued on the back of my tank (black background) about a year ago.... it now covers nearly 1/3 of my 5 ft tank. As it grew it spread to my sandbed and to a rock i purposely put in its way to collect and control spreading (btw once it starts taking off it will be EVERYWHERE) but back to your question... i found that the gsp growing on the vertical back wall had longer flowing “tenticles” than the one that had now covered the rock mentioned above.... now taking into consideration lighting and flow differentials between the gsp on the back wall vs the rock on the bottom i have noticed that the gsp tentacles on the vertical surfaces seem to grow noticeably longer than the ones that are “forced” to take direct light. So IMO if u want longer tentacles on your gsp, force them to grow on a vertical surface so the arms have to “reach” to grab the lights.... i will post a pic to show what the difference is in my tank, i happen to like tighter packed shorter tentacle for a standalone piece... but the gsp on the back wall look realllly cool as it sways with the currents in the tank.... pics to come... also this tank is a mixed sps, lps, softie, zoa/paly with fish. The gsp has been extremely hardy from day 1 dealing with lots of tinkering on my part. I would be more than happy to send you some of mine at no charge so you can “tinker” as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine...
100_1285_zps9ae18aa8.jpg

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine on the solitary rock (shorter) vs mine against my back wall (longer)... not much of a difference but noticeable when the current rolls by

0879B344-4330-4F9F-85C9-6D50EB15338B.jpeg DFA600D8-3BF7-4EC3-A089-E39B9C56FC43.jpeg

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know why the pic came out sideways and blurred sorry lol.... just be careful because before you know it that gsp will be everwhere!! I separated it from main rock structures in my tank (kinda put it on an island with sand in between) if it starts to creep onto sand cut it cuz once it gets onto a large rock its nearly impossible to get off

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back