make up water and bacteria

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. not sure if this is the right place to post. but I have been wondering this. my make up vat some times holds three inches of unused make up water for a weeks.. then I add in new fresh make up water. add salt and do water change.. over the years I notice a brown film that grows in there. might be clay like material from products such as instant ocean.. but here is the question.. assuming that there is sometype of bacteria forming in the vat left over water..
1. is it bad. I tend to think yes...
2, It is hard to completely empty so I could always be making water.. which is not the case
or ... a thought.. I add some hydrogen peroxide to the water for a day before adding the salt to the mix?

let me hear your thoughts..

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve experienced something similar—a brownish stain that coats the bottom and sides of my polyethylene mixing tank over several months. I do not think it is harmful. Most likely just residue from the salt mix and not bacteria, since there are little to no nutrients in the freshly made sea water to support bacteria growth.
I just periodically soak and scrub with a heavy vinegar solution, flush with plenty of water plus a final rinse with RODI water and allow it to dry out for several days before mixing my next batch of sea water. Cleans the power-head and heater I also use in my mixing tank.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I here what you're saying. But interesting thing is. Tank bottom is clear. With left over sea water. Then if sits fir a week or so. Turns brown on walls.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar here. I refill my tank after water changes so I always have water on hand.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Question is still can we add some hdydrigen peroxide to the water before adding salt ??

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to? I think it is just a residue that builds up over time but is harmless. I suspect very little of it is in suspension. When I drain water for water changes it always looks crystal clear.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it generally to kill some algae. So thought why not. I have never had an issue when using it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back