Juat need to confirm Brook or fungal/bacteria?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all in advance.
Clown yesterday:
1000009111.jpg

Clown today:
1000009152.jpg

Appears to be getting worse. Prepping fw dip bucket with tap, prime, and a bubbler.
Heating up salt water for qt.
Tested this am. 180g mixed reef tank. No losses.
1.025 25.2C
Ph. 7.97
Phos .184
Ni 25
Alk 7.3
Ca 440
Initial thought was Brook (clown) but no new fish since Dec. Last weekend bumble bees added and last week a leather with rock. Did some rescaping with rock from another tank this weekend. Age of fish is unk but likely 8 yrs. Symptoms presented late Monday. No other fish showing symptoms. Clown eating, swimming breathing fine. White film has progressed over the last 24 hrs as seen in above pix. Reef rally on its way as well as seachem metro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you all in advance.
Clown yesterday:
1000009111.jpg

Clown today:
1000009152.jpg

Appears to be getting worse. Prepping fw dip bucket with tap, prime, and a bubbler.
Heating up salt water for qt.
Tested this am. 180g mixed reef tank. No losses.
1.025 25.2C
Ph. 7.97
Phos .184
Ni 25
Alk 7.3
Ca 440
Initial thought was Brook (clown) but no new fish since Dec. Last weekend bumble bees added and last week a leather with rock. Did some rescaping with rock from another tank this weekend. Age of fish is unk but likely 8 yrs. Symptoms presented late Monday. No other fish showing symptoms. Clown eating, swimming breathing fine. White film has progressed over the last 24 hrs as seen in above pix. Reef rally on its way as well as seachem metro.
The heavy mucus suggests brook. While it can be secondary bacterial, can you post a video of the fish?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not swimming “mopey” like clowns with Brook do - but the lesion is on both sides of the fish, and sure looks like Brook. That it is getting worse is also making me lean that way as well.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not swimming “mopey” like clowns with Brook do - but the lesion is on both sides of the fish, and sure looks like Brook. That it is getting worse is also making me lean that way as well.
thanks Jay. i just havent added any fish or water from an outside source. I am sure a little water came in with the snails and leather but such a small amount that it wouldnt be more then a ml or so. Has brook ever presented without the addition of new fish?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree and can confirm brooklynella. The thick mucus on its body is a sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as easy as a second hand tank from a thrift store or as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it but the white isn't near the face and started behind the pectoral fins. No other fish had been added since December. Also the fish isn't lethargic, is eating fine and isn't showing signs of labored or heavy respiration.
Can this truely be brook if no other fish have been added to the tank since December? Over 6 weeks ago?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it but the white isn't near the face and started behind the pectoral fins. No other fish had been added since December. Also the fish isn't lethargic, is eating fine and isn't showing signs of labored or heavy respiration.
Can this truely be brook if no other fish have been added to the tank since December? Over 6 weeks ago?

That is pretty unusual, but I cannot say that it could never happen. I would wait to see the development of any secondary symptoms - the mopey swimming, rapid respiration, not eating.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back