Makes u wonder what went wrong......

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200417_174534.jpg
20200417_174433.jpg

The 1st picture is a picture of my fish only tank that prob got no3 of 50+ n high po4. the only equipment running is a skimmer and some cheap led lights. But coraline algae is growing everywhere.
2nd pic is my sps tank. No3 3 po4 0.05 dkh 8 cal 450 mg 1400. running radios g5s, skimmer, ats, clarisea filter, uv, but its covered with gha and dino.
Makes u wonder what really happened lol. I did dose my fish only with chloroquine phosphate.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe fish ate the algae before it could get going in their tank

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it’s because your lights for the sps tank are more powerful. If you were to use that light on your fowlr, I’m sure it would grow gha.

I’m a huge fan of algae scrubbers, they’re very effective and very cheap if you diy

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a turkey baster on your rocks every now and then especially during a water change? You’d be surprised at how much stuff gets trapped in there leading to nuisance algae growth!

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it’s because your lights for the sps tank are more powerful. If you were to use that light on your fowlr, I’m sure it would grow gha.

I’m a huge fan of algae scrubbers, they’re very effective and very cheap if you diy
I do run a algae turf scrubber. It was so efficient, it stripped off all the nutrients to 0. That's why I'm experiencing dino atm.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a turkey baster on your rocks every now and then especially during a water change? You’d be surprised at how much stuff gets trapped in there leading to nuisance algae growth!
Do it on a daily basis haha

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your "algae" - do you see any visible gas bubbles on them when the light i fully running?

I think that your example is a good example that the easy answer - high nutrient -> algae not always is the truth. As other have highlight - light intensity play a role - but IMO not a major role in this case.

Organic matter on the rock will not play any role for most algae - however it can play a role for cyanobacteria and some times for dinoflagellates.

First thing to do - try to establish if it is common algae or Cyanobacteria and/or dinoflagellates.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this thread

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your "algae" - do you see any visible gas bubbles on them when the light i fully running?

I think that your example is a good example that the easy answer - high nutrient -> algae not always is the truth. As other have highlight - light intensity play a role - but IMO not a major role in this case.

Organic matter on the rock will not play any role for most algae - however it can play a role for cyanobacteria and some times for dinoflagellates.

First thing to do - try to establish if it is common algae or Cyanobacteria and/or dinoflagellates.

Sincerely Lasse
Mentioned in my ori post that I have both gha + dino

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is not an biological definition - it just says Green Hairy Algae - IMO there is many hairy cyanobacteria thats is misnamed as Algae with the common name GHA. Therefore I ask if you could see any gas bubbles in what you call GHA. If you can - I doubt it is an algae. How have you identified the things you call dino - by microscope?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is not an biological definition - it just says Green Hairy Algae - IMO there is many hairy cyanobacteria thats is misnamed as Algae with the common name GHA. Therefore I ask if you could see any gas bubbles in what you call GHA. If you can - I doubt it is an algae. How have you identified the things you call dino - by microscope?

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah they do have air bubbles.
Screenshot_20200409-204031_Gallery.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of advises in order to "starve" them out - you have also done a try with that - it did not works out well what it looks like.

If I was in the same situation - I would have mechanical clean the stones. going down with light, maybe only use the blue wavelengths for a while. Try to establish around 2-3 ppm NO3 and at least 0.05 as PO4. if they come back - clean again and clean again

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back