Makeshift Fish Room questions

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' x 10' closet with attic access right behind the wall where I'm putting my tank, and my mixing station will be in the garage and is right on the outside of the closet wall. It looks like the perfect place to put my sump and other equipment; however, there is no ventilation in that closet and I'm concerned that humidity might become an issue.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? Should I put an exhaust fan in there?

Suggestions?

Thanks
IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably do something to help mitigate the humidity. In my case, I use a dehumidifier that is plumbed directly to the utility sink so that I don't have to empty it. Because your garage is right there, I'd suggest a vent fan with humidistat so that it will only run when needed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a dedicated fish room but I still have to run a dehumidifier all year because of my tank.
If I were you I would run a vent through the attic and vent it outside (basically a bathroom vent fan), it would consume much less power than using a dehumidifier and its less hassle, if you don't have a way to allow the dehumidifier to constantly drain.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably do something to help mitigate the humidity. In my case, I use a dehumidifier that is plumbed directly to the utility sink so that I don't have to empty it. Because your garage is right there, I'd suggest a vent fan with humidistat so that it will only run when needed.
That’s a great idea. Thanks, I’m going to look into vents with humistats built in; sounds like this will meet my needs

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a dedicated fish room but I still have to run a dehumidifier all year because of my tank.
If I were you I would run a vent through the attic and vent it outside (basically a bathroom vent fan), it would consume much less power than using a dehumidifier and its less hassle, if you don't have a way to allow the dehumidifier to constantly drain.
This is what I was originally thinking and is probably the right way to do it. Currently, I have two bathrooms ducted to the same exhaust fan motor in the attic; I bet I could just add a vent to that closet and splice into the existing duct work. The crux of this design, is it would require some electrical work. I love DIY, but I usually draw a line at in-home electrical projects

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was originally thinking and is probably the right way to do it. Currently, I have two bathrooms ducted to the same exhaust fan motor in the attic; I bet I could just add a vent to that closet and splice into the existing duct work. The crux of this design, is it would require some electrical work. I love DIY, but I usually draw a line at in-home electrical projects
The only part about electrical that should even be slightly concerning is the connections. If not comfortable you could always run the wire and pay someone to come in and finish the connections, I couldn't image it would cost much.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only part about electrical that should even be slightly concerning is the connections. If not comfortable you could always run the wire and pay someone to come in and finish the connections, I couldn't image it would cost much.
This looks like a solid solution and should be easy to splice into the existing ductwork https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/

Back