Makeshift refugium compartment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rshahnyc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rshahnyc

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2024
Messages
689
Reaction score
215
Location
New Rochelle
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey so I have a 90 gallon display with a roughly 30 gallon sump.

The sump and cabinet space situation sucks and I really wish I had known to oversized it but here we are.

Currently the sump is as below.

IMG_1409.jpeg


I am looking to add a media basket/acrylic basket with a ball of chaeto and a Neptune GRO light. Will it make an impact on nitrates and phosphates or is it too small? (6inch x 4 inch x 7 inches depth)

Nitrates are around 7-10, phosphates are 0.18-0.22


I can also do a HOB refugium at the end which is 8x4x12 but would need to figure out if it leaks and it scares me
 
IMO...you'll need alot more chaeto then that to make any impact....but its not going to hurt
 
What if I used a HOB or magnetic mounted acclimation box (12x6x6) and attached it to one of the separating baffles/glass in my sump?

Would that get enough flow? Just put the GRO over it and see if that works? Do I need to buy a separate small wave pump?

Also should I be buying copes to seed this Chaeto or just let it be? Should I buy trace elements like iron etc?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new