Makeshift sump/refugium

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am thinking of a project to convert my cheaply bought tank designed for freshwater into a functionable marine tank. It's currently running on 3 cartridge filters (one UV) and everything is fine, no fish deaths, but I want to improve it by adding a sump/refugium to house my heater and UV filter and as an additional reservoir as my tank is only 32g.

I cant afford a sump and the equipment that would involve, so I am trying to think of ways I can use the existing equipment and convert.

My main cartridge filter is the Jabao 502 which is a beast of a filter really designed for ponds (650 LPH), so my tank is being fully circulated approx every ten mins and the outflow is a spray bar so my tank is well oxygenated as well (yes i'm talking about a marine aquarium, weird I know):
Jabao.jpg

So, bearing in mind I can't afford to purchase anything new and I want to make use of my existing equipment (spare tanks, lights and filters), would the following work (arrows indicate water flow):

Untitled.png

There are layers of anti nitrate bio media sponge, carbon and an anti silicate sock in my cartridge filter currently which I would still use, but with the holes drilled I the sides and with the aid of a wave maker to push the flow in the direction of those drilled holes, it should work in the same fashion as a sump.

I would then add live rock and cheto between the wave maker and the cartidge filter, so its a frankenstein internal external filter. I have plenty of clip on lighting for inside the cabinet above the sump for the cheto and lots of critters, and if cheto blocking the in take drilled holes is an issue I could place the cartridge inside a mesh?

Would my madness work or would it be a catastrophe of epic proportions? Anyone else done a converted sump/refugium?

Scott

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This won’t work because the pump in the canister filter is not capable of pushing water up 4-5 feet. Instead, it’s designed to move water from one level, and return it to that same level. Drilling holes in the canister will negate that and the water will just drain out and overflow the lower section, making a mess.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the power of the flow will be reduced the further the water needs to travel on the vertical. But It's currently at the side of the tank so lifting about 1 foot and is a very powerful flow. The cabinet below the tank has 2 levels so If I placed the sump/refugium container on the top level it would only be lifting 2-3 feet. There are youtube vids of this pump lifting from the ground up which must be 4 -5 foot plus.

Pls can you clarify what you mean when you say it would drain out, as it would be submerged in the sump/refugium.

Thanks

Scott

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will siphon all the water in the main tank above down into the sump until the siphon breaks.
If not while pump is actively running, then when the power goes out.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this: Put the inlet in a bucket on the floor, put the outlet in the tank and turn on the filter pump. See what happens. I’m going to bet you get almost nothing coming out. This is the difference between a closed loop (how it is now) vs an open loop (how sumps work).

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the Canister is designed to be sumberged in water (not designed for room air placement).

It may be sealed to hold water inside.
Not sure what seals there are from outside Power cord going in and how pump is sealed from Salt water to get to inside.

Two concerns. Corrosion, and Electrical Shock.

I highly doubt it's made as a submersible, since that would raise the product cost.
Impeller is inside, and Magentically powered from an Outside Electrical Circuit (not sealed)

I use a Cheap rubbermaid tub for a Sump. Used it for over 5 years wihout issues. Some containers inside for simulated baffles.
You would need a pump, which is what you want to use the canister for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the Canister is designed to be sumberged in water (not designed for room air placement).

It may be sealed to hold water inside.
Not sure what seals there are from outside Power cord going in and how pump is sealed from Salt water to get to inside.

Two concerns. Corrosion, and Electrical Shock.

I highly doubt it's made as a submersible, since that would raise the product cost.
Impeller is inside, and Magentically powered from an Outside Electrical Circuit (not sealed)

I use a Cheap rubbermaid tub for a Sump. Used it for over 5 years wihout issues. Some containers inside for simulated baffles.
You would need a pump, which is what you want to use the canister for.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense, having checked you are correct it is not designed as a submersible pump. OK in that case I will go for a hang on overflow and a return pump with a cheap tub and containers as baffles. Do people generally have light sources for their sumps, or do you keep it dark for sponge growth?

Scott

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense, having checked you are correct it is not designed as a submersible pump. OK in that case I will go for a hang on overflow and a return pump with a cheap tub and containers as baffles. Do people generally have light sources for their sumps, or do you keep it dark for sponge growth?

Scott
Light in sump.....Hmm. That's a journey you think about later.

I do have two kind of lighting.

One is a Utility WHITE LED that I can turn on/off with Remote so I can see well into the Rubbermaid tub during maintenance.

Then 2nd is a LED light to grow Algae (cheato), in a mini container. This helps but it's something you need to think about later. When Ready, read about Algae Scrubbers (ATS = Algae Turf Scrubber).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back