Making items out of acrylic

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a tutorial, video, step by step guide on how to cleanly cut acrylic and bond it together to make items for the aquarium?

I know there is a blade that has 110 teeth or around that...but what blade is it, where do I get it, how do I use it.

Ive tried the scoring method and that's not working.
Does someone have a video on how to cut and bond acrylic or can you point me in the right direction?
I will be doing a lot of work with 1/4" acrylic.
I'm trying to eventually make an algae scrubber, ato container, dosing container, frag rack, etc.
I just need to be shown the direction. Thank you.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 110 teeth blades are junk in my opinion. Are you using a table saw? If so a 60-80 tooth carbide tipped triple chip blade is what you want. There expensive I also like a blade that has a thicker tip than the disk this is called kerf (if I'm not mistaken) it keeps the blade disk from touching the acrylic and melting it. Also when cutting only raise the blade hight just enough to cut through the thickness of your material as far as welding the acrylic goes there some good videos on YouTube. It's quit simple cut your material prep the edges to remove the saw marks this can be done with a router using a double fluted bit, sanding, or a drag blade. Then use weld on 3 or 4 put the pieces in place and use a syringe to apply the weld on will be sucked into the joint (capillary action) try a few scraps to perfect your process when your comfortable get to building. Note prep of the joints is probably the biggest reason for bad welds. Also check out the king of diy on YouTube he has some tank builds he walks you through all the steps.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capillary action (wicking) is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do not watch that guy's videos unless you want to learn the wrong way.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capillary action (wicking) is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do not watch that guy's videos unless you want to learn the wrong way.

+1 there's a member here that built tanks for Joey(kingofdiy) and Joey claims he built them.

Joey builds tanks that leak, but they never make the video....his cutting room floor is probably 6in deep water by now. Dude is a joke. Just glad to see somebody else call it like they see it.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 there's a member here that built tanks for Joey(kingofdiy) and Joey claims he built them.

Joey builds tanks that leak, but they never make the video....his cutting room floor is probably 6in deep water by now. Dude is a joke. Just glad to see somebody else call it like they see it.

not to bash to hard but I tried his overflow pvc pipe... HA his water flow rates are just random numbers he came up with on the fly to get views.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I didn't know someone else built his tanks.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 110 teeth blades are junk in my opinion. Are you using a table saw? If so a 60-80 tooth carbide tipped triple chip blade is what you want. There expensive I also like a blade that has a thicker tip than the disk this is called kerf (if I'm not mistaken) it keeps the blade disk from touching the acrylic and melting it. Also when cutting only raise the blade hight just enough to cut through the thickness of your material as far as welding the acrylic goes there some good videos on YouTube. It's quit simple cut your material prep the edges to remove the saw marks this can be done with a router using a double fluted bit, sanding, or a drag blade. Then use weld on 3 or 4 put the pieces in place and use a syringe to apply the weld on will be sucked into the joint (capillary action) try a few scraps to perfect your process when your comfortable get to building. Note prep of the joints is probably the biggest reason for bad welds. Also check out the king of diy on YouTube he has some tank builds he walks you through all the steps.

Thank you so much for this info. I have tons of scrap pieces I can mess with. I will be using a table saw. I pretty much only have a Dremel that I tried cutting 1/8" with and it all came out melted. I just could not figure out how to cut thicker pieces. I was looking at the Diablo 10 in. x 80-Tooth Non-Ferrous / Plastic Cutting Saw Blade recommended by Floyd R Turbo. I will see if I cant gather some tools this weekend and give it a try. Now I know there are different Weld-On products, right?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...ng-Saw-Blade-D1080N/100043779?N=5yc1vZc2jqZge
Any one in particular I should use or a variety I should get? Aren't some thicker/thinner than others?

Thanks

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want scigrip 3 or 4, formerly called Weldon.

Thank you so much for this info. I have tons of scrap pieces I can mess with. I will be using a table saw. I pretty much only have a Dremel that I tried cutting 1/8" with and it all came out melted. I just could not figure out how to cut thicker pieces. I was looking at the Diablo 10 in. x 80-Tooth Non-Ferrous / Plastic Cutting Saw Blade recommended by Floyd R Turbo. I will see if I cant gather some tools this weekend and give it a try. Now I know there are different Weld-On products, right?
Any one in particular I should use or a variety I should get? Aren't some thicker/thinner than others?

Thanks

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question about welding acrylic, this is a very good video link

Yes a @cromag08 states scigrip #4 is the glue to use. The #4 flow in to the seem and make clean and simple joints. I would suggest the build some useless to get used to using it. I do keep at tube of #8 around for leaks.

The reason for a 60 tooth up to 80 is for smother cuts. Thinner blades such as the diablo will vibrate and make for ruffer cuts. It is best to invest in a 1/8 thick blade if you go cheap, purchase a blade stiffener. Going of 80 teeth will start to melt the acrylic do to friction. It is advisable to have a good table saw and fence.

I have build acrylic projects with a skill saw and fence in the past. I used a 40 tooth fine cut blade and sanded my joints.

Square a smooth joints are the key, other wise it is pretty simple to do basic project.

One thing I will state is that you need to be very careful cutting, keep everything away from the blade, body parts;). Cutting small pieces can become projectiles and make sure you have hold downs/featherboards and no one is behind you when cutting on a tablesaw. Be Careful cutting with miter saw for the reason the blades hook is different and will grab the plastic and it is best not to hold the plastic with your fingers. Eye protection, Eye protection, Eye Protection is a must.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question about welding acrylic, this is a very good video link

Yes a @cromag08 states scigrip #4 is the glue to use. The #4 flow in to the seem and make clean and simple joints. I would suggest the build some useless to get used to using it. I do keep at tube of #8 around for leaks.

The reason for a 60 tooth up to 80 is for smother cuts. Thinner blades such as the diablo will vibrate and make for ruffer cuts. It is best to invest in a 1/8 thick blade if you go cheap, purchase a blade stiffener. Going of 80 teeth will start to melt the acrylic do to friction. It is advisable to have a good table saw and fence.

I have build acrylic projects with a skill saw and fence in the past. I used a 40 tooth fine cut blade and sanded my joints.

Square a smooth joints are the key, other wise it is pretty simple to do basic project.

One thing I will state is that you need to be very careful cutting, keep everything away from the blade, body parts;). Cutting small pieces can become projectiles and make sure you have hold downs/featherboards and no one is behind you when cutting on a tablesaw. Be Careful cutting with miter saw for the reason the blades hook is different and will grab the plastic and it is best not to hold the plastic with your fingers. Eye protection, Eye protection, Eye Protection is a must.

few questions?
What blade do you use? Have a link or photo?
What is a blade stiffener? Price is really not an option if the blade is going to make me do more work in the long run. I would prefer to get a good blade and not have to do as much prep work...although I know I will still be doing a lot og it.
What is a fence?

Thanks.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use a cnc router and you'll have prepped edges ready for welding!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges