Making items out of acrylic

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few questions?
What blade do you use? Have a link or photo?
What is a blade stiffener? Price is really not an option if the blade is going to make me do more work in the long run. I would prefer to get a good blade and not have to do as much prep work...although I know I will still be doing a lot og it.
What is a fence?

Thanks.
here is a link to a saw blade link skill saw blade link
here is a link to a saw blade stiffener link
Saw fence link skill saw fence link

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making more out of this then needed. I made this refugium over 15 years ago using the cheapest 80 tooth blade and Weld-on in a syringe to apply the weld via capillary action. Harbor Freight blades will work just fine. Only the sharp corners of the edge itself was deburred using a fine file, not the side edge itself. Pieces have to be cut precisely especially when using dividers. I stacked them so all were exactly even. I did cut braces for the corners but that probably wasn't necessary the more I think about it. When cutting on table saw go slow and let the blade do the work.
P1010023.JPG

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I did a DIY sump with some pretty thick acrylic using a dremmel with a diamond blade. It cut through the acrylic like butter but also melted along some of the cuts. We sanded the edges down and it works great after being sealed. Not the prettiest in the world but it gets the job done and I think our next build will come out much better now that we've had some practice.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making more out of this then needed. I made this refugium over 15 years ago using the cheapest 80 tooth blade and Weld-on in a syringe to apply the weld via capillary action. Harbor Freight blades will work just fine. Only the sharp corners of the edge itself was deburred using a fine file, not the side edge itself. Pieces have to be cut precisely especially when using dividers. I stacked them so all were exactly even. I did cut braces for the corners but that probably wasn't necessary the more I think about it. When cutting on table saw go slow and let the blade do the work.
P1010023.JPG
I like to buy good toys:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1010023.JPG

thank you

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned by watching "Melev's Reef" videos. I dont have the precision tools needed for cutting but I'm good at planning and engineering what I wanted so I usually order the more important (Cut) pieces from the manufacturer.

I still have a stack of 1000 acupuncture needles like he recommended. That was the smallest amount I could buy :)

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/constructing-acrylic-sump

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am too low tech. When I need to cut acrylic, I tape both sides of it with painters tape. This makes a HUGE difference in the smoothness of the cut. Then I just use a jig saw with a fine tooth blade...nothing special. I use Weldon gel for the first seal and the fine liquid (and extremely messy) stuff for any tiny gaps left over.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capillary action (wicking) is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do not watch that guy's videos unless you want to learn the wrong way.
You know all you ever do is come on this forum and criticize everyone that tries to help your a self proclaim acrylic expert why don't you try spending some time and giving suggestions I haven't seen one tank you've built we're your videos what's your YouTube channel. Weld on 3-4 were both designed for capillary Welding of acrylic, if it's disaster waiting to happen please enlighten us with your knowledge how then? Also we are diy'ers were cant afford a Cnc router

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back