Making lid for 65gal reef tank

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so Im making a lid to cover the top of my tank out of plexiglass but had a few questions for anyone with knowledge on having their tank fully covered. I have the pieces cut out and fitted so my lights and filter still fit but was curious if I should drill holes in the plexiglass so the heat doesnt get trapped from the LED lights as bad or will it be fine without being drilled? Also didnt know if it would effect aeration or not. Also will the condensation that builds up have any effect on my lighting as far as shimmer be more intenese and what not.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so Im making a lid to cover the top of my tank out of plexiglass but had a few questions for anyone with knowledge on having their tank fully covered. I have the pieces cut out and fitted so my lights and filter still fit but was curious if I should drill holes in the plexiglass so the heat doesnt get trapped from the LED lights as bad or will it be fine without being drilled? Also didnt know if it would effect aeration or not. Also will the condensation that builds up have any effect on my lighting as far as shimmer be more intenese and what not.
I think all of your concerns are valid. Have you thought about using clear 1/4” netting and window screen parts? You can get screen at BRS and the parts at Lowe’s or maybe even brs.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the lids will steam up and then condense so make sure they drip into the tank and not down the sides. I guess your LEDs are right on your tank top? Not sure why they would affect each other otherwise. My experience with using 1/4 inch plexi over a tank was it deformed after a while. Perhaps a ridgid frame would have helped or maybe it was the type of plexi. Either way if I were to cover a tank again, I would use glass.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of your concerns are valid. Have you thought about using clear 1/4” netting and window screen parts? You can get screen at BRS and the parts at Lowe’s or maybe even brs.
Yes I've been looking at the netting to build something. I just was able to get my hands on the plexiglass for free and right away. The diamond goby thinks he is a bird sometimes and can fly so I needed something right away even if it's just temporary.
Yes, the lids will steam up and then condense so make sure they drip into the tank and not down the sides. I guess your LEDs are right on your tank top? Not sure why they would affect each other otherwise. My experience with using 1/4 inch plexi over a tank was it deformed after a while. Perhaps a ridgid frame would have helped or maybe it was the type of plexi. Either way if I were to cover a tank again, I would use glass.
I have trim around the rim so it fits on a ledge inside of the rim so it will drip back into tank. My lights are mounted off the top on an actual mount but I didnt know if the condensation would sometimes mess up the cluster of lights due to passing through water droplets, basically reflecting the light or making the par less intense from the plexiglass being fogged up.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100% that the diamond goby needs the lid.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got glass that came with a tank and I put 1/4 acrylic panels on another. My PH has been fine. I'd recommend cutting it in to multiple pieces and make a hinge to limit dripping when opening. I had a single panel on a cube. I always spilled. Anything thinner than 1/4in also warped for me.
The top get dirty but it's not too bad to clean.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got glass that came with a tank and I put 1/4 acrylic panels on another. My PH has been fine. I'd recommend cutting it in to multiple pieces and make a hinge to limit dripping when opening. I had a single panel on a cube. I always spilled. Anything thinner than 1/4in also warped for me.
The top get dirty but it's not too bad to clean.
Cool, im glad you mentioned your ph cause honestly that's how I was gonna confirm its still aerating the water effectively. The sheets I have ate 1/4in so hopefully wont have to worry about warping. I like that idea about making into sections so I can easily maintain the tank without having to fully remove the pieces, thanks.

Eric Dorfner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one a few months ago after losing about 5 fish ($300) worth to jumpers. I made this and took a while without and diagrams but essentially it’s open in the top for venting and then when I flip it up to feed and clean, it’s totally open and amazing. The entire front half flips onto the back half and I can access the whole tank. Took about $30 in materials and I love it. Also gets rid of the light spill into the living room.

ECEA4AAD-DAEE-47C4-BCB0-9FF7EDE49403.jpeg 8E5FA58C-F2C0-4CA9-B744-B43EC2B29640.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back