Making up for multipart dosing by programmed removal of tank water?

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attracted to the concept of Balling methods or other more elegant multipart dosing regimens for the fact that they should help keep the entire set of ions relatively balanced (except the slight rise in salinity). I'm particularly attracted because I'm planning to manage the vast majority of the nutrient export with a very intense refugium capacity.

Now, in a 'normal' system, the skimmer is removing some salinity, so when you're adding some salinity in your multipart, it probably is fairly moot (salinity added via dosing is pretty small, even in aggressive systems). I suppose a system with heavy calcium reactor usage and no skimming, one might have salinity 'creep'.

So: might one be able to program the removal of tank water (to a drain/waste/etc) to account for the dosing regimen? My thought is mostly thinking we could use a dosing pump to remove X mL of water per day, perhaps just before the dosing pumps add the doses? Perhaps the salinity added is too little for even this, and we can just remove 100mL a week or something? Any thoughts on the matter?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back