Making water changes easier! What are some tips and tricks?

With your current water change "process" how easy is it on a scale of 1 to 10?

• 1 Very EASY

Votes: 173 21.7%

Votes: 73 9.2%

Votes: 168 21.1%

Votes: 108 13.6%

Votes: 138 17.3%

Votes: 62 7.8%

Votes: 48 6.0%

Votes: 16 2.0%

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • 10 Very Hard

Votes: 6 0.8%

• Total voters

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally just back up to an ocean, throw in a long hose with a bilge pump attached and pump 40 gallons into my Jeep.

Most ocean water is free. :rolleyes:

I back up to my driveway and pump the ice cold water into a big vat. Then I fill 5 gallon water cooler bottles with hot water and float them in the vat to warm up the seawater.

While I am waiting, I may dance.
Then I pump the water into 5 gallon containers that are placed on a table next to the tank.

I remove water from the tank and dump in the new water.

I could just pump it in from the Vat but that takes to long and I am impatient and always want to go and do something else. Maybe bungee jump or cut my toe nails. ;Bucktooth

This week I collected 140 gallons of water and changed 80 gallons in my 125 gallon tank.

I just wanted a few more gallons so I put on boots and quickly collected a little more. I just can't get enough. :cool:

Me in Water..jpg

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing station and a Neptune dos to do the water changes automatically is hard to beat. Just have to mix new salt water every few weeks. Hardest part is adding the salt

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make the water I have to turn a valve on my mixing station and then dump salt in. Once the saltwater is mixed up I'm done. The rest of the process takes care of its self with a smart outlet and a masterflex pump.
An AWC is an amazing upgrade for anyone who has room for one and plans on doing water changes.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could conduct a water change easily. But that means I have to fill my 5 gallon bucket which takes about 2 hours, then heat it up then add the salt and wait for it to mix. Its not difficult its just time consuming and I dont have space for a storage water... I think if I did it would have to be atleast 20-30 gallons so It can last about a month or so. Im hoping my ATS can reduce the frequency of water changes.

Sheehantastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RO in my house for everything but the outside spigots. I have a 40 gallon cooler on a furniture dolly, I have an external filter with a auto drain feature. So I open that bad boy up and drain as much I want into the cooler. I mark the water level, then wheel the whole thing over to the floor drain and pull the drain plug on the cooler. I then wheel it over to the laundry sink and fill up to the line I marked for the drained water. Then over to the tank where I mix in my salt and additives. Then I use the fill feature on my external to pump the new water in. The whole process takes less than a half hour for 35 to 40 gallons. The only thing i have to lift is mixing bowls/spoons, refractometer and additives.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have RO in my house for everything but the outside spigots. I have a 40 gallon cooler on a furniture dolly, I have an external filter with a auto drain feature. So I open that bad boy up and drain as much I want into the cooler. I mark the water level, then wheel the whole thing over to the floor drain and pull the drain plug on the cooler. I then wheel it over to the laundry sink and fill up to the line I marked for the drained water. Then over to the tank where I mix in my salt and additives. Then I use the fill feature on my external to pump the new water in. The whole process takes less than a half hour for 35 to 40 gallons. The only thing i have to lift is mixing bowls/spoons, refractometer and additives.
This would be best to post in a new thread:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That said - I use a python (brand name) - I siphon off the amount I want to - and then connect it to a pump from my already made saltwater to replace it - it takes less than 30 minutes to change 40 gallons (but it could be any amount)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back