Making waves and turning heads: Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

• I have a favorite type of wrasse.

Votes: 64 24.8%
  • I have a few favorite wrasses.

Votes: 92 35.7%
  • I like all wrasses.

Votes: 56 21.7%
  • I don’t have a favorite type of wrasse.

Votes: 31 12.0%
  • I am not interested in wrasses.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Making waves and turning heads: Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

In addition to being great utility fish, wrasses can be absolutely stunning! Additionally, wrasses are popular throughout the hobby and can be readily found by many online fish sellers and local fish stores (LFSs). I saw an exquisite wrasse in a LFS this past week that stopped by in my tracks and had me mesmerized while I closely observed the wonderful markings! The variations of markings, body shapes, and tail shapes of different types of wrasses is fascinating and even the different markings within a specific wrasse species allows for some visually striking fish! Whether it is for their utility in your tank or for their beauty, do you have a favorite type of wrasse? If so, please let us know what kind, and if possible, please share pictures in the related R2R thread!

Lemon Tyk_MadagascarWrasse.jpeg

Photo by Lemon Tyk from Facebook; Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus, the Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are too many cool, beautiful wrasses to pick just one. Of the wrasses I currently own, my Golden Rhomboid is my crown jewel. I love it. I adore my tiny guys, too. My pink streaks and possum are also among my favorites.

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does all Cirrhilabrus count? lol If I were to choose one, I'd say Cirrhilabrus Jordani - Hawaiian Flame fairy wrasse. My favorite that anyone can actually get ahold of right now is probably Cirrhilabrus Lineatus _ Lineatus Fairy wrasse. Both are stunning fish with desirable traits and personalities

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres - here are a few of my favorites

H. melasmapomus aka earmuff wrasse (my photo)

06022022.jpg

H. leucurus aka grey head wrasse (not my photo)
1705946749406.jpeg

H. rubricephalus aka red head wrasse (not my photo)
1705946884670.jpeg

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banana Wrasse

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a coris wrasse which I liked for the vibrant color moving through the tank, but my current favorite is my blue sided wrasse

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t really had the chance to experience them.
I had a 6 line that died in qt, and both of my attempts at halichoeres wrasses didn’t make it long (DOA for first and uronema for second).
I do love the looks of the halichoeres and might wind up trying again…

Bird wrasse are also really cool looking.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my favorites are:
1. Macropharyngodon (leopards)
I have a bipartitis and she is lovely
1705949864675.jpeg

2. Pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink streak wrasse)
Cutest of the cute
1705949949236.jpeg

3. Halichoeres (salt pigs)
There are many I like in this genus. Would love an H. iridis. I currently have an H. chrysus who is a bit skittish but a lovely fish and good eater
1705950031623.jpeg

4. Cirrhilabrus (fairy wrasses)
I should love this genus more, but I'm just getting started with them with my first fairy, a C. brunneus. A C. rubeus currently in QT. P. jordani would be the dream.
1705950121510.jpeg

He's hard to photo.

5. Psuedojuloides (pencil wrasses)
I don't have one and won't for a long time, but this is one of my wrasse goals. Would love a P. kaleidos!

6. Paracheilinus (flasher wrasses)
I should like this genus more, but I don't have an adequate tank for flashers. Probably would be happy with any of them.

7. Wetmorella (possum wrasses)
Debated getting one, but I think I like watching other's possums instead (@jkcoral )

8. Anampses (tamarin wrasses)
Need a bigger tank. Would love one, though.

9. Coris
Need a bigger tank. Would like a Coris gaimard.

10. Labroides (cleaner wrasses)
I'd be stressed out about their health all of the time.

11. Cheilinus undulatus
Still looking for a good one. I'm sure I'll find one soon.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine fine. A real answer.

Favorite type of wrasse. Well I have 11 genera and 16 wrasse which is a lot of wrasse and I guess 11 different types.
Alphabetically:

Anampses (tamarin) wrasse are definitely among the most beautiful wrasse but unfortunately are too difficult for the average reefer. Here’s my Gemma who is like a gem tang but more vibrant, doesn’t have that ugly face, and is peaceful. So just better then a gem tang:
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

Bodianus (hogfish) are a great fish for a bigger tank. Though they are often overlooked for their close cousin the harlequin tusk fish they offer far more variety. Here is my lyretail, B anthioides:
IMG_4537.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus (fairy) are another awesome genus since there are so many and are generally a lot easier and have great personalities. Here’s my favorite C Rubeus!
IMG_3786.jpeg

Coris wrasse are too big but they are probably my favorite in terms of looks. They have the most incredible patterns! Mine is still quite young though.
IMG_2230.jpeg

Halichoeres or salt pig wrasse are probably the best starting wrasse. Generally tough but also usually peaceful. They also have a ton of variety. Here are two of my four. H iridis and H marginatus
IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg

Labroides are cleaner wrasse and are not a great fish unless you get them captive bred. They are probably the smartest fish in the world and have awesome personalities. Mine is a tiny baby!
IMG_4506.jpeg

Macropharyngodon! Though leopard wrasse are difficult they are also the cutest and most sparkly!
IMG_3281.jpeg

Paracheilinus aka flasher wrasse are one of those fish that start off bland but can become the prettiest! Here’s my little P cyaneus.
IMG_3745.jpeg

Psuedocheilinops. What is Pseudochilinus didn’t like to kill other fish? Good thing there’s this little not-monster!
IMG_4500.jpeg

Novaculilichthys. Dragon wrasse are evil. But they are like Heath Ledger joker evil. Really really fun to watch!!
IMG_4534.jpeg

Thalassoma. What are you crazy?! They kill everything even urchins and starfish. Only a fool would get a Thalassoma. Here’s mine, T lunare…
IMG_4127.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a favorite, but I'm in the market for a couple. I'm just having a heck of a time figuring what types are reef safe, will get along with each other (and everyone else) and doesn't cost north of $100 each.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back