20 Gallon Reef Build - A Waterbox Cube 20

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the hobby and after a lot of lurking in the forums, reading articles and watching hours worth of BRS YouTube clips, I decided to start a nano reef. The reason why I chose a nano reef was for ease of maintenance and the small footprint it would take in my house. Another consideration was that I would not have make compromising cost decisions. I settled on the Waterbox Cube 20 with the stand. It cost around $950 from Bulk Reef Supply (where I purchased all equipment for this build). I liked the Waterbox for the simplicity of design, the all in one feature and the quality of build for the money. The quality of both the tank and the stand is worth the money in my opinion. Everything is sleek, clean and sturdy. Even the hinges in the stand are as good as my custom kitchen cabinets.

Waterbox.jpg
Tank and stand.jpg
ATO reservoir.jpg
Hinges.jpg

I did upgrade the return pump to a Sicce Syncra 0.5 silent pump. I have one powerhead, an AI Nero 3. Both of these pumps are so quiet that I don’t even hear a base line noise coming from the setup. The return nozzle along with the Nero 3 broadcasts flow and turbulence brilliantly all over the tank. The Nero 3 has ample settings that I have no worry about flow when it comes time to introduce corals.

Pwrhd.jpg

I used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for the saltwater. I purchased and set up a BRS 6 stage RO/DI filter for the water. The RO/DI system was incredibly easy to set up. I must admit, I kind of ghetto’d it. I attached the RO/DI to a wood sawhorse and my reservoir is a 50 gallon Brute trashcan. I have 2 100 watt heaters and a Koralia pump in the trashcan to aid in the mixing. I am very happy with the set up. Water is transferred via a 5 gallon bucket from Lowe’s. I have SG at 1.025. I have a Milwaukee refractometer that is a must have in my opinion

Saltwater test.jpg

I purchased live sand and rock (20 lbs each) from Tampa Bay Saltwater. This product exceeded my expectations. I had to pick it up from the cargo area at Boston Logan. It was shipped in two boxes. TBS sets the shipping up but, you have to pay separately for it. Not a big deal, it was around $90 and came up from Florida on a Delta flight. The rock and sand are teeming with life. I received some great hitchhikers on the rock: a peppermint shrimp, a blue porcelain crab, and a troop of limpets. The rock is encrusted with coralline algae, small sponges and macro algae. I can also see lots of small creatures scurrying about. You’ll see that the sand is great because you get a more natural looking aquascape than the white sand that everyone seems to be in love with. The sand is also very coarse, which allows you to crank the flow from the pumps if you wish. Excuse the lighting in the pictures, I am a total noob a reef pics!

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank4.jpg

Tanks w water and rock.jpg

The light is an AI Prime 16HD. I have already set it up even though I don’t have corals yet. I used the settings described in a BRS video that explains optimal settings for soft corals (which I plan to stock at some point). The setup was incredible easy and very intuitive. You can even download presets from AI’s website in the signature section.

Light.jpg

I haven’t set up the ATO yet as I cannot figure out if I need to buy a controller for the Osmolator nano 3152. I looked at a few YouTube videos on the setup but, they are introducing parts that didn’t come in the box. I will post more when I figure that out.

ATO pump.jpg

As you will see in the pictures, I stocked the tank with 1 occelaris clownfish. $19 bucks at Petco. He is doing great and I do not plan to have any other fish. If I start getting undesirable critters (which is likely at some point) I will introduce a possum wrasse. There are a few astrea snails and blue legged hermits in the tank as well.

With regard to corals, I will begin stocking in a couple of months or so. The plan is on toadstool coral and a handful of zoanthids and that is it. I am going for simplicity.

Wish me luck!!!!

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I have the waterbox 25 peninsula and can't fault them. Only thing I did (along with most) is throw the filter sock out and replace with kracking corals media basket . Think Intank do one as well but I'm in Australia so kracking corals it was .

Also run a nano skimmer, the aqua excell nano( eshopps nano is American version) they fit the middle chamber well and still allow the prime 16 to fit centred

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I have the waterbox 25 peninsula and can't fault them. Only thing I did (along with most) is throw the filter sock out and replace with kracking corals media basket . Think Intank do one as well but I'm in Australia so kracking corals it was .

Also run a nano skimmer, the aqua excell nano( eshopps nano is American version) they fit the middle chamber well and still allow the prime 16 to fit centred
That interesting. I am trying to figure out what the sock is actually good for. It cleans the water up real nice which makes me think that it does remove the finer particles that a skimmer would. Maybe it's low cost alternative to a skimmer? I did buy a media basket in case I wanted to forgo the sock. I have a Kraken Reef screen top with the evaporation panel. I bought the overflow screen and media basket. I am going to check out your posts to see if you have a pic of your setup.

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and clean look - you went with equipment in the goldilocks of price to performance and I think you'll be happy with it long-term.

One thing to be aware of is die-off on liverock like that. It's impossible to beat the biodiversity you get from rock like that, but it's equally impossible to expect the majority of it to transfer seamlessly to your home aquarium.

Some of it will happen very quickly or did happen during shipping, but some of it will be gradual as the filter feeders that can no longer keep up their lifestyle slowly fall away. At least for the first few weeks, I'd keep a very close eye on your Ammonia and Nitrates (and have a bottle of nitrifying bacteria ready if you get an ammonia spike.)

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and clean look - you went with equipment in the goldilocks of price to performance and I think you'll be happy with it long-term.

One thing to be aware of is die-off on liverock like that. It's impossible to beat the biodiversity you get from rock like that, but it's equally impossible to expect the majority of it to transfer seamlessly to your home aquarium.

Some of it will happen very quickly or did happen during shipping, but some of it will be gradual as the filter feeders that can no longer keep up their lifestyle slowly fall away. At least for the first few weeks, I'd keep a very close eye on your Ammonia and Nitrates (and have a bottle of nitrifying bacteria ready if you get an ammonia spike.)

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks so work however clog easily. You'll get to a point where it needs cleaning every 2 days. If you go away for a few days, you'll come back and it will be clogged, flow restricted, and the middle chamber water level will drop 1st. This is where my skimmer is so didn't want to burn out the pump on skimmer.
I have some photos in my build thread
For lighting schedule I'm currently running the nano karen signature from the AI signature series on their website

Shoot me a message if you need any other pictures or info

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks so work however clog easily. You'll get to a point where it needs cleaning every 2 days. If you go away for a few days, you'll come back and it will be clogged, flow restricted, and the middle chamber water level will drop 1st. This is where my skimmer is so didn't want to burn out the pump on skimmer.
I have some photos in my build thread
For lighting schedule I'm currently running the nano karen signature from the AI signature series on their website

Shoot me a message if you need any other pictures or info
Thank you Rocktron! Rock on!

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an UPDATE if anyone is paying attention to this thread! The tank is slightly over a month old at this point and everything seems to be going well.

Water
The Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO has done a great job. I test at random times and I always get a reading of 1.025. I think this is the perfect product for a 20 gallon nano. I use a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket with lid for the RO/DI water reservoir.

Live Rock
The Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock ("TBLR") seems to be doing its job. There was some die off as a member suggested above that I would likely experience. I noticed a few small crab carcasses and macro algae die off. I left it all in the tank thinking that maybe it would be good for the life in the tank to eat. I do have a CUC in there and they took care of everything. I feed dried pellets 2 days a week and misys shrimp 2 days a week. When the lights go out, you can see what I think are pods all over the the place. One night, it looked like it was snowing in there. So with all of the TBLR, I have not registered any ammonia even though I feed large enough portions for a clown, possum wrasse, peppermint shrimp and let a few pieces settle on the bottom. I did find nitrates crept up to 10ppm, but I did about a 2 gallon water change a few days ago. While doing so, I vacuumed the sand and pulled out some detritus and a couple of days later my nitrates are at 5ppm.

STOCK
I mentioned that I added a possum wrasse. I picked it up at my LFS here on the South Shore of Massachusetts. I think I paid around $50 for it. It is healthy with bright yellow bands and forages in the liverock constantly. It eats the misys but, does not seem to go for the pellets.

Also, from my LFS, I purchased a 1 inch toadstool frag with long neon green polyps. It opens up daily and seems to be doing very well. I have some zoanthids on the way from Tidal Gardens.

Lighting
I programmed the AI Prime 16 HD to the following parameters:

UV = 116%
V = 116%
RY = 88%
B = 89%
G = 4%
DR = 4%
ML = 0%
CW = 17%

It runs 8 hours a day with a two hour ramp and two hour sunset. As such, it is only at peak for 4 hours.

I've included a photo. I took the picture at 100% clear white so that you get an accurate picture of how things look. You'll note some green algae but, I don't mind as you don't see it when the lighting schedule is running and it feeds the CUC. Let me know what you think!

IMG_3852.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an UPDATE if anyone is paying attention to this thread! The tank is slightly over a month old at this point and everything seems to be going well.

Water
The Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO has done a great job. I test at random times and I always get a reading of 1.025. I think this is the perfect product for a 20 gallon nano. I use a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket with lid for the RO/DI water reservoir.

Live Rock
The Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock ("TBLR") seems to be doing its job. There was some die off as a member suggested above that I would likely experience. I noticed a few small crab carcasses and macro algae die off. I left it all in the tank thinking that maybe it would be good for the life in the tank to eat. I do have a CUC in there and they took care of everything. I feed dried pellets 2 days a week and misys shrimp 2 days a week. When the lights go out, you can see what I think are pods all over the the place. One night, it looked like it was snowing in there. So with all of the TBLR, I have not registered any ammonia even though I feed large enough portions for a clown, possum wrasse, peppermint shrimp and let a few pieces settle on the bottom. I did find nitrates crept up to 10ppm, but I did about a 2 gallon water change a few days ago. While doing so, I vacuumed the sand and pulled out some detritus and a couple of days later my nitrates are at 5ppm.

STOCK
I mentioned that I added a possum wrasse. I picked it up at my LFS here on the South Shore of Massachusetts. I think I paid around $50 for it. It is healthy with bright yellow bands and forages in the liverock constantly. It eats the misys but, does not seem to go for the pellets.

Also, from my LFS, I purchased a 1 inch toadstool frag with long neon green polyps. It opens up daily and seems to be doing very well. I have some zoanthids on the way from Tidal Gardens.

Lighting
I programmed the AI Prime 16 HD to the following parameters:

UV = 116%
V = 116%
RY = 88%
B = 89%
G = 4%
DR = 4%
ML = 0%
CW = 17%

It runs 8 hours a day with a two hour ramp and two hour sunset. As such, it is only at peak for 4 hours.

I've included a photo. I took the picture at 100% clear white so that you get an accurate picture of how things look. You'll note some green algae but, I don't mind as you don't see it when the lighting schedule is running and it feeds the CUC. Let me know what you think!

IMG_3852.jpg
Nice.
I would not run anything over 100%. I run 7 16hds and melted the lens on 2 at above 100%.
Note: Only the UV and V melted. New lens is only $5.
I currently run this setting:
First 4 100%
Last 3 50%
1hr ramp up/down
10hrs peak.
Great for hard and soft corals plus anemones.
Great color and growth too.
My 20 went from zero just like yours is now to this in 8 months.
The 16hds do quite well.
Look forward to watching this system grow in.
20220926_094455.jpg

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.
I would not run anything over 100%. I run 7 16hds and melted the lens on 2 at above 100%.
Note: Only the UV and V melted. New lens is only $5.
I currently run this setting:
First 4 100%
Last 3 50%
1hr ramp up/down
10hrs peak.
Great for hard and soft corals plus anemones.
Great color and growth too.
My 20 went from zero just like yours is now to this in 8 months.
The 16hds do quite well.
Look forward to watching this system grow in.
20220926_094455.jpg
Great reply! Thanks for chiming in. Great looking corals you've got there. I think I will edit my schedule. I based my schedule on the BRS tests they did on YouTube. How high above the surface do you mount your light? Mine is 10". The downside is that is spills a lot of light into the room. Does your lighting schedule cause a lot of algae build up? I just changed my light to your schedule and the tank is so much nicer to look at. It looks far more natural than what I had.

What kind of SPS is that branching type? Is that montipora digitata?

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No montis, 95% sticks.
Tall ones are stags.

Lights are 8" above the surface.
No algae issue in my 45, I run 4, and my 30, I run 2.
You can get a shade that helps light spill and leakage when sitting.
This is what they look like on my 30g.
20230202_111945.jpg

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No montis, 95% sticks.
Tall ones are stags.

Lights are 8" above the surface.
No algae issue in my 45, I run 4, and my 30, I run 2.
You can get a shade that helps light spill and leakage when sitting.
This is what they look like on my 30g.
20230202_111945.jpg
Wow. Really nice looking tanks 90s. Thanks for helping me out with the advice! I appreciate it!

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed he's not getting algae issues as I had a similar setting to brs that you had, but dropped the 118% down to 100% and ran for 8hr peak with 2hr ramps, and started getting algae on glass every day. Changed to nano Karen's schedule and no more algae and coral is looking great . Nano Karen's signature schedule below
Screenshot_2023-04-18-21-07-22-66_f075abd76a32898b6508feb51de836f0.jpg

OP
OP
jpmazzone

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed he's not getting algae issues as I had a similar setting to brs that you had, but dropped the 118% down to 100% and ran for 8hr peak with 2hr ramps, and started getting algae on glass every day. Changed to nano Karen's schedule and no more algae and coral is looking great . Nano Karen's signature schedule below
Screenshot_2023-04-18-21-07-22-66_f075abd76a32898b6508feb51de836f0.jpg
As you know, I am new to the hobby but, I have done a ton of reading, lurking, etc. What I've noticed is that there is no "one size fits all". It must be because there are so many different variables at work in all this. Fish load, corals, frequency of water change, bio diversity, etc. One thing I was thinking about yesterday is that people that have very dense coral populations, like 90's reefer, seem to use higher lighting settings. I'm thinking that the zooxanthellae in the corals must outcompete for nutrients, which mitigates algae outbreaks. Another take away from my research is that you almost have to pick a path and just stick with it because life will adapt and adjust and your reef keeping practices will necessarily conform to whatever parameters you've chosen.

What I do know, is that I know very little, which makes this hobby exciting!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really just about stability. Lighting is just one part of the algae issues people have. Good cleanup crew helps keep it stable.
This is the same 20g I rebooted. Its running a 250 watt halide so plenty of light, lol. Also 1 16hd for up/down viewing.
Tanks a month old.
20230416_142505.jpg
20230416_142434.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back