Making waves and turning heads: Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

• I have a favorite type of wrasse.

Votes: 64 24.8%
  • I have a few favorite wrasses.

Votes: 92 35.7%
  • I like all wrasses.

Votes: 56 21.7%
  • I don’t have a favorite type of wrasse.

Votes: 31 12.0%
  • I am not interested in wrasses.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will research those! Live Aquaria has radiant as expert and dusky as difficult - what puts them in those categories?

I like the colors of melanarus, but the owner of my LFS always wrinkles her nose and says, “nah, there are others.“
Honestly I’ve never had issues with either of those species. Radiants can sometimes be a bit sensitive at first but duskies are usually quite tough.
Melanarus is often disliked because it is common but can be very pretty in the right light. They are more aggressive then some other Halichoeres but in you tank that shouldn’t matter.
IMG_4317.jpeg

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine fine. A real answer.

Favorite type of wrasse. Well I have 11 genera and 16 wrasse which is a lot of wrasse and I guess 11 different types.
Alphabetically:

Anampses (tamarin) wrasse are definitely among the most beautiful wrasse but unfortunately are too difficult for the average reefer. Here’s my Gemma who is like a gem tang but more vibrant, doesn’t have that ugly face, and is peaceful. So just better then a gem tang:
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

Bodianus (hogfish) are a great fish for a bigger tank. Though they are often overlooked for their close cousin the harlequin tusk fish they offer far more variety. Here is my lyretail, B anthioides:
IMG_4537.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus (fairy) are another awesome genus since there are so many and are generally a lot easier and have great personalities. Here’s my favorite C Rubeus!
IMG_3786.jpeg

Coris wrasse are too big but they are probably my favorite in terms of looks. They have the most incredible patterns! Mine is still quite young though.
IMG_2230.jpeg

Halichoeres or salt pig wrasse are probably the best starting wrasse. Generally tough but also usually peaceful. They also have a ton of variety. Here are two of my four. H iridis and H marginatus
IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg

Labroides are cleaner wrasse and are not a great fish unless you get them captive bred. They are probably the smartest fish in the world and have awesome personalities. Mine is a tiny baby!
IMG_4506.jpeg

Macropharyngodon! Though leopard wrasse are difficult they are also the cutest and most sparkly!
IMG_3281.jpeg

Paracheilinus aka flasher wrasse are one of those fish that start off bland but can become the prettiest! Here’s my little P cyaneus.
IMG_3745.jpeg

Psuedocheilinops. What is Pseudochilinus didn’t like to kill other fish? Good thing there’s this little not-monster!
IMG_4500.jpeg

Novaculilichthys. Dragon wrasse are evil. But they are like Heath Ledger joker evil. Really really fun to watch!!
IMG_4534.jpeg

Thalassoma. What are you crazy?! They kill everything even urchins and starfish. Only a fool would get a Thalassoma. Here’s mine, T lunare…
IMG_4127.jpeg
I love love love your write up, very well done and great photos to boot. I have some of what you have, but building towards 10-12 wrasse in one of my tanks, several others in a smaller tank. What about the Harlequin Tusk, such an all time beauty. And the Maori wrasses....I have a Two Spot...it's just the colorful "Maori" lines in the face area that get me

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love love love your write up, very well done and great photos to boot. I have some of what you have, but building towards 10-12 wrasse in one of my tanks, several others in a smaller tank. What about the Harlequin Tusk, such an all time beauty. And the Maori wrasses....I have a Two Spot...it's just the colorful "Maori" lines in the face area that get me
Thanks! Come to the wrasse lovers thread if you want advice on stocking.
I’ve had a two spot Māori but it jumped and I’m still tempted on a tusk but I’m worried it won’t get on with the hogfish.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B bibamulatus
B izuensis
B pulchellus?
B sepiacaudus

It’s pretty simple with wrasse. Look at their max length. If they get in the 6-10” range they will probably eat shrimp and crabs. Bigger they eat everything.

Except Thalassoma. They eat everything no matter how small they are

My yellow candy hogs were always “reef safe.” And over the years I’ve had 3 Cuban hogfish. One was more or less reef safe, but the other two were both born to kill haha

University of Florida’s Indian River lab has had recent success getting the yellow candy hogfish to spawn in captivity. It’s pretty cool to see the high fertility rates on them.

A couple of years ago they were also able to get some Cuban hogfish to spawn, and they are still working on those too.

Just sharing in case anyone would find it interesting.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow candy hogs were always “reef safe.” And over the years I’ve had 3 Cuban hogfish. One was more or less reef safe, but the other two were both born to kill haha

University of Florida’s Indian River lab has had recent success getting the yellow candy hogfish to spawn in captivity. It’s pretty cool to see the high fertility rates on them.

A couple of years ago they were also able to get some Cuban hogfish to spawn, and they are still working on those too.

Just sharing in case anyone would find it interesting.
That is interesting! Hopefully we can see more wrasse captive bred. I’m sure it would increase success rates of the more difficult ones like tamarins and pencils.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been a big fan of the Red Coris Wrasse / Yellowtail Coris Wrasse / Gaimard’s Wrasse, whatever you want to cal it, lol.
Some other beautifully wrasse that other have already mentioned. Seems to be a few beautiful types of fairy wrasses, etc.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been a big fan of the Red Coris Wrasse / Yellowtail Coris Wrasse / Gaimard’s Wrasse, whatever you want to cal it, lol.
Some other beautifully wrasse that other have already mentioned. Seems to be a few beautiful types of fairy wrasses, etc.
Coris gaimard :face-with-tears-of-joy:

galmase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mainly wrasses in my 100gallon tank. Love the leopards the most. Choats, ornate, black spotted, blue star, red jewel. But of course can’t ignore my lineatus and madagascar flasher.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making waves and turning heads: Do you have a favorite type of wrasse?

In addition to being great utility fish, wrasses can be absolutely stunning! Additionally, wrasses are popular throughout the hobby and can be readily found by many online fish sellers and local fish stores (LFSs). I saw an exquisite wrasse in a LFS this past week that stopped by in my tracks and had me mesmerized while I closely observed the wonderful markings! The variations of markings, body shapes, and tail shapes of different types of wrasses is fascinating and even the different markings within a specific wrasse species allows for some visually striking fish! Whether it is for their utility in your tank or for their beauty, do you have a favorite type of wrasse? If so, please let us know what kind, and if possible, please share pictures in the related R2R thread!

Lemon Tyk_MadagascarWrasse.jpeg

Photo by Lemon Tyk from Facebook; Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus, the Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
Beautiful fish!!

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-line for me. . . beautiful fish that is easy to come by and it eats undesirable critters. . . can't go wrong with a classic!!!
I keep running across threads where people do not recommend the six line. Any issues with yours and other tank mates?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep running across threads where people do not recommend the six line. Any issues with yours and other tank mates?
Six line wrasse are a fish that tend to stake out territories in the wild that they will defend violently even from much bigger fish. For that reason they can be surprisingly aggressive and are not a fish I would recommend for someone keeping a community tank.
As an alternative I suggest pink streak wrasse, possum wrasse, or Halichoeres wrasse.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the wrasses I like, not in any particular orders
Black Leopard Male nuptial and base color and Female (last picture)
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020041102Male.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801Resized.jpg

Porcelain (China) Wrasse
Nuptial and base color male. Female
ChinaWrasse2022012003Male.jpg
ChinaWrasse2022012004Male.jpg
ChinaWrasse2022012005Male.jpg
ChinaWrasse2020071101Male.jpg

ChinaWrasse2019062802.jpg

Bluethroat Fairy nuptial coloration
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

Carpenter Flasher
CarpenterFlasher2016010601.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back