Malaysian Acros

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what's going on with the Malaysian scene? I've seen a few imports here and there, and looks like they are bringing in some really nice stuff. Just don't see much of it being sold anywhere.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one on the way
365060C8-C72E-4852-96B2-89C36F8494BD.png

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing it. Dibs on first frag if it's amazing! :p

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasewood, how do you know it’s maylasian? Is tck saying where each piece coming from?
Where is everyone seeing these pieces being sold?

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few frags popping up fs on FB. Just wondering if we can expect to see more of these acros coming in or if it will be short lived? and why none of the mainstream chop shops/vendors are selling any yet?

Imo, this is almost as good as Indo opening back up if more become available to the states. Just unsure of the current status. Seems only a select few have these pieces as of now.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasewood, how do you know it’s maylasian? Is tck saying where each piece coming from?
Where is everyone seeing these pieces being sold?
I honestly just trust TCK but the Malaysian factor didn’t have anything to do with it. I inquired about this specific piece after seeing it on the Facebook sps group page and thought it was a good price.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that TCK pictures are highly edited. And that's coming from buying a 30 plus piece pack from him.

I was going to buy some acros from this site.
https://reefloungeusaa.com/collections/malaysian-acropora

That site looks more edited than tck! No doubt pretty corals but I can not even understand what colors I am seeing, none of those corals will look anything like that in my tank.
Whoever is getting these pieces is probably chopping them all up which is SAD. They look like nice corals I just can’t see anything but blown out blue light and fluorescent pigments. I have never been happy getting corals that are pictured like that, so I will let others take the risk on those fresh cuts.
Is this site a trusted place?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that TCK pictures are highly edited. And that's coming from buying a 30 plus piece pack from him.

I’ve bought a lot from TCK and this isn’t an edited pic. I was sent a cell phone video as well to confirm it. I’m not saying he doesn’t edit pics. I’m just saying this isn’t one of them. I’m sure it’s under blues with a filter, but who doesn’t do that.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That site looks more edited than tck! No doubt pretty corals but I can not even understand what colors I am seeing, none of those corals will look anything like that in my tank.
Whoever is getting these pieces is probably chopping them all up which is SAD. They look like nice corals I just can’t see anything but blown out blue light and fluorescent pigments. I have never been happy getting corals that are pictured like that, so I will let others take the risk on those fresh cuts.
I was thinking the same thing. I only buy from vendors I trust will send healthy, hardy and pest free Acros. I’ve bought 8-10 pieces from TCK over the last year and every one of them was beautiful, pest free, and hardy. Zero losses from his stock so far.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hence the was going to buy part. I saw one of their tonga torch and the colors on that and emptied out my cart real quick.
But the question was where can we buy them. That's one option.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS, reef lounge, isn't too far my house, I haven't been in there in years, but I'm going to have to stop by and check it out soon.
Be sure to take pictures. Interested in seeing them unedited.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen this site also. The pics under heavy blues were not very appealing to me.

I was under the impression Malaysia export was closed down too, but I guess not

My main interest is some of the smooth skins, and other oddball species that's not available from Aus, but can be found in the Malaysian/Indo waters. Hopefully we can see some more diversity in Acro selections if these coral keep coming in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back