male cardinal fish.

mrfrogspawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chances are you may just happen across a few of the babies when you least excpet it. once theyre on their own in a bigger system, they will hide among the rocks so you dont see them. they continue to do that until they reach about 1 1/2"-2 in length, then they begin to come out of hiding more and more often. i put 2 one month old babies in a 65 gallong system and it took about 3 months for them to start coming out into the open. theyve even survived from being eaten by 3 large wrasses.

easist way to guarantee the babies survive is the put the male in his own tank with several long spine sea urchins (or a fake one made of a clay ball with toothpicks sticking out of it). once the babies are spit out they will head straight for the urchins, or anything that resembles one. my last batch was a total of 40 babbies, and they were all swimming in between the toothpicks all the time. I managed with 32 survivors that were either passed to other reefers, or brought into the LFS to help their supply.

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had terrible luck getting my male to hold. I've tried pulling the eggs before, but always way to early.

Back