image.jpg

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look under it's fin yet? :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

It's going to be hard to ID at that distance I would think. The differences are usually very subtle details. Not that I could, I just wanted to help you possibly get the help you need.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look under it's fin yet? :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

It's going to be hard to ID at that distance I would think. The differences are usually very subtle details. Not that I could, I just wanted to help you possibly get the help you need.
Well I had a large one and I want a pair and this one is pretty small

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. With the rounded dorsal and anal fins would guess female. Hard to say without comparing it with others from same area. The black stripes are another tell, and guessing from yours would say male. Males will have more and/or darker/sharper or bolder black. Females also tend to be slightly more yellow, less red. Again hard to say unless compared to same area, same age fish.
will say fir sure if it’s been without other flames for a couple of weeks it is male. Will also say I’ve seen many females turn male, and never seen male turn female. Far as I know they will all turn male if left alone.
If you have one that is already established would warn against pairing. Have only seen it work when placed in tank at same time. But guess there’s a first time for everything

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. With the rounded dorsal and anal fins would guess female. Hard to say without comparing it with others from same area. The black stripes are another tell, and guessing from yours would say male. Males will have more and/or darker/sharper or bolder black. Females also tend to be slightly more yellow, less red. Again hard to say unless compared to same area, same age fish.
will say fir sure if it’s been without other flames for a couple of weeks it is male. Will also say I’ve seen many females turn male, and never seen male turn female. Far as I know they will all turn male if left alone.
If you have one that is already established would warn against pairing. Have only seen it work when placed in tank at same time. But guess there’s a first time for everything
This is one in a pet store it’s small mine is definitely a male

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one in a pet store it’s small mine is definitely a male
Was on the lookout for a female I could pair for years. I have a half dozen lfs within 20 minute drive near me. If the one at your lfs is alone for a week or two it’s male. If it was shipped to lfs alone it likely turned male on the trip. If you have an established flame it will likely starve out the new addition whether it’s male or female

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back