Male square back or pink hatch anthias ?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I looked at a large very colorful square back anthias ,that's what the guy told me it was. I suspect it has several differing names. It hadn't been in the shop long so I didn't buy ,looked healthy .
Anyway can I keep this one fish or does it require some girlfriends? I haven't had luck keeping a group in the past. Seems one always falls out early then slowly one by one. I think it's when buying a group all at once You don't know which ones are competing for the dominant place. If I had a known male then purchased a group of smaller ones The pecking order would be easily resolved. What are Your thoughts?
While I'm talking about fishes, I see my Lawn Mower blenny feeding on the meaty stuff I feed the other neighbors. I thought he might be real hungry but nope he's got a nice fat belly and trust me, I have plenty of algae for it to eat.
Also I asked the guy at my LFs if he could get me a Clown goby . He tells me they are terrible shippers & won't live long without Acropora corals . Now Iv'e seen plenty of these cool little fish in lot's of tanks. I question this . How about You?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females are big and pushy with each other, so a group of them will need a 125g+ size tank.

Males have a harder time adjusting to captivity than females, so when a male and a few females are added simultaneously, the dominant female can usurp the male for dominance. Getting the male first and allowing him to establish himself before adding females is helpful. But if you go this coucourse you will need to add at least 3 females to diffuse the displays from the male.

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id reccomend starting with a group of females so they can figure out dominance among themselves so that the most dominant can just turn male and youd have no issues with a female going after your male while hes adjusting.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id reccomend starting with a group of females so they can figure out dominance among themselves so that the most dominant can just turn male and youd have no issues with a female going after your male while hes adjusting.
I find that females that transition to male while in captivity rarely attain the vibrance of a wild caught male. And female pink squares take longer to transition to male than lyretails and bartletts.

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that females that transition to male while in captivity rarely attain the vibrance of a wild caught male. And female pink squares take longer to transition to male than lyretails and bartletts.
Ive seen some gorgepus captive transitioned males but it really kind of depends on the species, locale. But i didnt know the square backs take longer but i assumed it probably would for a larger species.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back